Set Smooth option reveals hideous pinching

kungfubellydancer

I made this custom mask, and was thoroughly disappointed when I put on the Set Smooth, and now reveals that there are some terrible pinches in the mesh. Is it possible to fix this, or must I start over?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj27/kungfubellydancer/11mask.jpg

I should add that in the above image, I divided the center rows to add another, central row, which has resulted in a kind of bumping texture along the center from forehead to snout, which I want, because it's a dragon. But all the other bumpy/pinchy parts should not be there. Could it be because of the order and way in which I connected/extruded vertices?

Export to nif. Then go to the tri strips and click calculate faces outside

It fixes the pinching for you , and it works on any model

If not you will have to select every face that has pinching and recalculate normals outside one at a time

I couldn't find the option in nifskope to calculate the faces, so I went back to blender and individually recalculated faces. Thankfully, that worked, except two or three stubborn faces remained as they are. Thanks for the help!

Hi!

ITs something u are gonna want to fix in blender!. The blender smooths normals on you r mesh but when the angle is too extreme it will create this dark spot. So you can limit it by geometry but if you dont want the normal smoothing requirements to controll your geometry! Yea u dont.

There is a thread with a couple good techinques on dealing with it, read the part about bevelling and smoothing groups.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/284850-dark-spots/