A darker Elder Scrolls

Th0raxeIV

I agree. No more starting off in jail (or in any prisoner-type situation), Bethesda. PLEASE! Or at least if you can't think of anything better, give us a reason for being in jail, not just a "Oh it's my destiny to be here to meet whoever is going to be at the same place/same time as me."

I use a mod that makes you start in a boat....its great an simple

Yes and so do I, however we're talking about Skyrim and our hopes for it. I for one hope they dispense with the beginnings of "insert random prisoner here who gets freed and does great things."

After reading the forums I think you do start out as a prisinor BUT the begining is a lot more tense and dramatic than the one in Oblivion.....now lest just hope they tell us WHY WE WERE IN JAIL TO BEGING WITH!....that really anoyed me in Oblivion

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the whole point in TES...

You always start in a Dungeon/Prison, but you never know why. (That has been the case with all previous TES Games.)

This makes it possible to create whatever character you want, without having a background story that makes certain play-styles seem odd. And it is a great way to do so! :D

Lore is an important part of TES, and with this way, people can create their own lore for their player. :)

That's the whole point in TES...

You always start in a Dungeon/Prison, but you never know why. (That has been the case with all previous TES Games.)

This makes it possible to create whatever character you want, without having a background story that makes certain play-styles seem odd. And it is a great way to do so! :D

Lore is an important part of TES, and with this way, people can create their own lore for their player. :)

Yeah but you could also start in a boat the gets into a storm, be found almost dead in a snow storm (that would make a lot of sence in Skyrim), you could be picking a fight in a bar, just staying in home when OMGDRAGONJUSTBURSTIN!!...theres a lot of ways to start the game with no background other then I'm in jail.....because that also implies that you character is not a really good guy....I mean he WAS in jail

That you're in a jail doesn't mean you're not a good guy... There's lots of reasons to get into jail without being bad! :)

Just come up with a reason, and go from there. :P

Having the player start in a dungeon/prison in a Elder Scrolls game is just a tradition, like Christmas. Why does this annoy people?

Like Zaldiir mentioned, having a character with an unknown past fits well with the general "sandbox" theme of TES III and IV since it lets players come up with their own history for their characters.

Didn't you start Morrowind on a boat ride?

Remember all that paper work you had to do and then you had duties, kind of like probation! That was actually a very interesting way to get all the class and race stuff done.

Having the player start in a dungeon/prison in a Elder Scrolls game is just a tradition, like Christmas. Why does this annoy people?

Like Zaldiir mentioned, having a character with an unknown past fits well with the general "sandbox" theme of TES III and IV since it lets players come up with their own history for their characters.

Yes but there are other ways to start a story and you don't necessary need to start in a dungeon. Once or twice is nice, but constantly using this as a plot starter shows that you ran out of ideas and it isn't really a good look. You could have started out on a slave ship (if it was Morrowind) where a slaver was doing a check up before there was a riot and you escaped. You could have started in a middle of no-where with nothing and you were rescued by someone (like NV). There are numerous ways of starting a story that doesn't fall in prison scenarios.