creating custom armor

hero4682

hi, ive been trying to make custom armor and im totally bombing....

ive read a few tutorials and there all saying the same thing, and of course,.. its not working for me,...

my biggest problem has to do with weight painting, i just cant comprehend it.. i made some simple wrist bracers that wont work,..

can u guys point me in the right direction when it come to making some gauntlets or similar,...

should i assign the bracers to the forarm bone?, do i include the hand bone from the skeleton?... and what about the fingers!!! man this is tough... too many questions..

Hi!

I guess it can be tough to get the idea of what you want when you have a result so distorted!

So. its good to start out just using the bone weight copy script.

For fixing the bracers, remove each vertex group it has and then with a clean slate, go in obljict mode u can select the bracers first then shift+select the body mesh.

Go into the scripts and find the bone weight copy one and copy em at quality 3.

U can then see what vertex groups and weights are assigned by looking in weight painting mode, test it in game and see how it is. Probably you will be satisfied and not need to do any weightpainting by hand.

Use weight painting when there is no preexisting rigged item for that bone or when the result of the script is unwanted as it often can be with skirts or loincloths.

Here are the tutorials that I have seen on this subject: Blender rigging / skinning

As baduk has said, we typically do not weight paint an entire object by hand (especially if we don't have to).

We typically import the body parts that will influence our object and use the Bone Weight Copy script as noted by baduk.

But rather than exporting and testing ingame immediately after using the script, I like to select the skeleton (Scene Root) and change Blender from Object Mode to Pose Mode and grab one of the bones and press R twice to begin rotating the bone freely and seeing how the mesh moves with the skin to find any obvious problem areas...then press ESC to cancel your rotation. I will do this for each major bone. If there are problem areas, I will modify the weight painting manually. Sometimes I have to modify the mesh's topology to allow it to bend more easily such as around the shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles.

Sometimes you may need to modify the model to be a bit more rigid so it doesn't "flex" so much as if it were cloth.

LHammonds

thanks again guys, u rock....

its so funny, thats the same tutorial i was using.... that and http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Blender_import_and_export_armor_for_Oblivion

i guess my problem was that i was mixing both techniques....

the rigging/ skinning turorial wasnt working for me because it forgot to mention about adding an "armature" to all the pieces and naming it "Scene Root",...

but, very cool stuff.... i feel like i can do anything with this stuff now,....