Reducing Glare On A Mesh?

pickinthebanjo

Could somebody share some advice on how I should go about reducing the glare on a weapons mesh. I ported over a few weapons from STALKER COP and they work fine but the textures are very glossy, almost reflective.

I imagine it is a simple fix in nifskope but I have not yet found out how to go about correcting it. So if somebody could help me out I would very much appreciate that since I had a few requests to lower the glare on my mods.

I chose not to post pics because it seems fairly self explanatory but if you'd like some just ask.

Edited by pickinthebanjo

I know where you come from and i wish there would be a simple, quick to look at database with the diffrent values and stuff, but as of now i guess you still have to go in there yourself and look at an live example from the game, then adjust the material prop accordignly.

PS: You can use the fo3archive utility to extract any and all data from the games own .bsa files.

Edited by Nadimos

The problem lied in the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node

can you be more specific with this. I am actually trying to make the ranger combat armor MORE glossy and having the filename_n.dds file in the proper folder with the other files doesnt have any effect on the glossy/shiny armor. So Im assuming something is going on w/ my ranger armor nif file....and Im a total newbie when it comes to nifskope.

well inside the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node look for ShaderFlags, I had two extra options ticked that I had to remove in order to reduce the glare. I have no idea what most of them do so just enable some and see what happens. I only know how to reduce it not raise it so sorry I can't be of more help. Edited by pickinthebanjo

Hi!

Lots of different shader flags, You can extract a vanilla nif file as example of what you should put on your item.

There is a list in the documentation files.

/NifTools/NifSkope/doc/BSShaderFlags.html

Most of those i havent seen on anything and no idea what they are for.

Most of the time the glossiness of your item can be controlled with normal methods.

In the nimaterial property of your nitristrips node u can find the glossiness in block details.

This controls the scale(?) of the shine effect.

Hi!

Look onto the normalmap (filename_n.dds) And see the alpha channel of it.

It is greyscale and you should darken this in all areas u want to be less shiny.

As stated earlier, the color of the alpha channel of your normal map is the specular map for fallout 3 and controls the intensity of reflection, make it whiter to increase and blacker to decrease.

Edited by baduk

At least for my problem I found out that it had nothing to do w/ the mesh files. My error had to do w/ the textures files and a mistake I was making...

I was increasing/decreasing the brightness, contrast, etc. on the RGB channels in photoshop for the filename_n.dds. When I should have been changing the settings for the Alpha channel. Works great now. Thanks!

Edited by junjo75

At least for my problem I found out that it had nothing to do w/ the mesh files. My error had to do w/ the textures files and a mistake I was making...

I was increasing/decreasing the brightness, contrast, etc. on the RGB channels in photoshop for the filename_n.dds. When I should have been changing the settings for the Alpha channel. Works great now. Thanks!

It seems for my ports the problem was the mesh, but for my RPG port I am almost positive it is a problem in the texture so I will try and see if I have the same problem because it doesn't shine like the others it glows