Scripting a World Map as a "Menu" using map markers as "Buttons?

EmperorsDynasty

I had originally posted this in the Mod Talk forum but it looks like I should have posted it here instead.

Can this be done?

Example...

Activate a console in Lucky 38 Penthouse, it opens a world map with limited map marker locations (either ones that game already used or custom). Selecting that marker won't fast travel you, but will instead... say... activate a script that will deploy (spawn) securitrons at that location.

Or another application, you tie the same type of console to an area wherein any objects or people will be .moveto the location that you associate with the map marker 'button'. Now you've basically created a 'teleport field' that you can send objects or (with JIP CC) companions, through.

I'm assuming the script extender would be used.

Please, if you're certain this can't be done let me know so I don't waste my time trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by EmperorsDynasty

Please, if you're certain this can't be done let me know so I don't waste my time trying to figure it out.

If you've browsed the terminal form(s) you'll see that your pretty limited. I'm not going to say it's impossible just using the base form (because there are some very creative people in the community) but I think your path to success relies on going beyond the base form via result scripts. Although there isn't much in the way of script functions for terminals (one vanilla and one NVSE) you can use them in another way. Have you used a hud or interface mod? They involve editing xml elements in fallout, and those graphical elements can have a *wide* variety. Someone familiar with xml (I don't have the knowledge/skill) could put together a world map, change the hud color to the same color as a terminal, and have buttons that activate scripted functions (spawn securitons, jip companions etc), then return you to the terminal.

Devin, thank you so much for your response. What you say makes sense. I looked at JIP's Fast Travel Anywhere mod since does what you describe via XML with corresponding .dds for the map, markers, cursors, etc. I don't know XML at all but in the age of youtube tutorials maybe I'll give it a shot?

I notice the UIO happens to come from JIP who made the aforementioned Fast Travel Anywhere mod.

I haven't actually installed or used his fast travel mod yet but I from what I've seen in videos he doesn't use map markers other than as static text, all the input is done with a longitude/latitude style cursor. He also is uses a full-scale map (one of his .dds) that is unique from the pipboy map since you don't have to 'drag about' with the mouse to view various locations.

For my purposes, that kind of overhaul isn't necessary to what I'd like to do. The default "World Map" that shows up in the pipboy would suffice just fine. Of course, it would have to be 'cut out' of the surrounding pipboy texture and and not queue'd to trigger your character pulling out and looking at his arm for it to display - rather, for it to just popup OnActivate of the console. Further, I'd have to get the game to recognize this world map as a Menu with all the features of a GetButtonPressed, map markers being recognized as iButtons that activate the scripts.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by EmperorsDynasty