Weapon mod ideas

Fatalmasterpiece

Sorry about the "they" thing, I had been going back and forth between 5-6 different pages and have no idea what the original point of the thread was about. My mistake. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wallbash.gif

An iron sword may have the same volume as one constructed primarily of steel, however the iron subject will have a greater mass. While this would lead one to believe the iron sword would be more effective, it is common knowledge the steel sword will be more effective due to the greater precision in it's edge and it's ability to keep such an edge sharper for a longer time. Now, a larger sword made of steel will do more damage than one which is smaller and also made of steel, but that is already taken into account in all Bethesda games with the difference of weapon types ei. dagger, long sword, two handed sword etc. Daggers have always done less damage than a Claymore.

Wait, are you saying that I'm saying the material shouldn't have to do with damage? While the difference between an iron sword and a steel sword are obvious, the ability to maintain an edge, overall they would do similar damage (if you got stabbed or cut with either one, you probably wouldn't be able to tell at first glance which did what, internal and external). So there might be 3 points of damage difference, rather than one material of the same weapon class having a 10 or 20 point advantage over another. Like I said before, material endurance should be a big difference. The iron sword would wear down faster, causing it to become less effective, and the player would seek a better blade, like steel. Something like a glass sword should definitely be brittle, while having a significant advantage in damage I guess. I've never heard of such a weapon being used. It'd probably be brutal on an unarmored target.

What I'm not saying is that one material should weigh a crap load more than another in the same class of weapon. I'm saying that each category of weaponry should have similar weight and do similar damage to one another. I mistakingly put size instead of weight, again, my mistake.

I was thinking that for the sake of simplicity, it'd be nice to have weapons in the same class do similar damage based off of weight, not material. You're right about the Mithril in that it weighs less than a metal of its quality normally would, but I think that it has the same damage, as far as D&D goes, as steel. I'm not sure how you'd make that work. I'm not sure what an Elven weapon would be based off of. For simplicities sake, I didn't go into talking about weapon shape or dynamics.

I'm reminded of a program I saw on tv (I think it was Lock N' Load) where they compared the claymore and the katana, two weapons that I had the most respect for as far as bladed weapons go. Both were about the same length. The katana out-performed the claymore in nearly every performance. They tested them against various types armors (such as leather, chain, and plate). The katana cut better, stabbed better, and had a generally higher swing velocity. I was a bit surprised how much better it was, but I knew that the blade used a more advanced method of forging and had a far more dynamic shape than the claymore (which I still love). *Note-That was just something I felt like mentioning...I think it's pretty neat.

*Another Side note- I was actually talking to this about my brother when I was posting (and looking up how different materials affected weaponry and armor), who is currently working to get his masters to teach history at the local community college, and he agreed with what I'm saying (which is what you basically said).

Sorry about the miscommunication.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Edited by AltreU

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like a glass sword should definitely be brittle, while having a significant advantage in damage I guess. I've never heard of such a weapon being used. It'd probably be brutal on an unarmored target.

* I'm not sure if you have played a TES game before. The "glass" they use to make weapons and armor isn't like what is in your windows. It's a magical mixture of rare metals and volcanic glass. It doesn't break easily.

it'd be nice to have weapons in the same class do similar damage based off of weight, not material. You're right about the Mithril in that it weighs less than a metal of its quality normally would, but I think that it has the same damage, as far as D&D goes, as steel.

You missed the entire point of what I said, but I will repeat it. The damage can't be based on weight because as I pointed out because while the mass of two weapons may differ, it is not this which defines the "damage" or effectiveness of the weapon. It is the material from which is is constructed, the form and the ability to retain an edge. If it was "based off of weight" iron would do more damage than steel.

Also, this isn't D&D, it's TES, which is an entirely different thing, despite their similarities (see notation *).

I'm reminded of a program I saw on tv (I think it was Lock N' Load) where they compared the claymore and the katana, two weapons that I had the most respect for as far as bladed weapons go. Both were about the same length. The katana out-performed the claymore in nearly every performance. They tested them against various types armors (such as leather, chain, and plate). The katana cut better, stabbed better, and had a generally higher swing velocity. I was a bit surprised how much better it was, but I knew that the blade used a more advanced method of forging and had a far more dynamic shape than the claymore (which I still love). *Note-That was just something I felt like mentioning...I think it's pretty neat.

This shows why weapon damage cannot be "based off of weight" as you suggested in both of your posts so what are you trying to say? The program you watched with the Katana shows exactly why weapon effectiveness is based on material.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

bladed staffs...

spears...

lances...

halbades...

throwing daggers/darts/axes

rocks(verry good as a distraction... see farcry...XD)

claws(like gauntlets but theye slash ratherthan smash)

and please bring on the dragonscale armor

Scrap all of that. I'm agreeing and was agreeing with you. That's all. If I overreacted, I apologize.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. It just didn't make a lot of sense in this case. I often come across really harshly in text, which is honestly not the case in person.

I agree about glass weapons and feel they don't really make much sense, or even look too good... but they are canon. So I think I will try to make a way of having them look like realistic weapons but still be "glass".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. It just didn't make a lot of sense in this case. I often come across really harshly in text, which is honestly not the case in person.

Yeah, I gotcha.

I complicate things sometimes when I can't express my ideas wholly. Think of it as internet autism (which I just may have completely made up, lol). I'm so much better at projecting ideas through speech, where I don't have time to mess it up, if you get what I mean.

I would really really (add a few million more "really") LOVE to see a flail, i saw a flail mod for oblivion once but game engine limitations meant it wasn't that good. With a new game engine this shouldn't be as much of a problem hmm?

As a side note, they would be very difficult to block, since they're inherently unpredictable, if your not careful you could end up hitting yourself with it...