Will V be "canned" the way Oblivion was?

Goodfortitude

I had a blast with Morrowind when it came out. I mean, it's all about exploration and original areas/finds for some of us. I know that they had to put a lot of work into meticulously placing every weapon and item in the game, well save for the crates. But, isn't that the point? Hard work pays off? The thing that really, really annoyed me about Oblivion was that it didn't take me long at all to figure out that it really didn't make a rat's arse where I went in the game, I was going to come up with the same things! It didn't matter one bit if I traveled across the land or just kept reloading the same stupid dungeon. What's worse? Didn't get what you wanted? Oh that's o.k. just reload and walk back in. That's "canned". What's more, all the dungeons looked exactly the same more or less. I realize that the dungeon basics were the same in MW, however, I think that the creativity and difference in the types of dungeons would quite override the problem of monotony. This wasn't the case in Oblivion at all. Less dungeon creativity, less item originality and smaller overall world equates to "NO need to explore"!

So, anyone know what the scoop is on 5?

I thought I read somewhere that the dungeons will be far more detailed. I was fine with how Oblivion did it, no two characters will have the exact same experience... unless you try to make it happen.

I had a blast with Morrowind when it came out. I mean, it's all about exploration and original areas/finds for some of us. I know that they had to put a lot of work into meticulously placing every weapon and item in the game, well save for the crates. But, isn't that the point? Hard work pays off? The thing that really, really annoyed me about Oblivion was that it didn't take me long at all to figure out that it really didn't make a rat's arse where I went in the game, I was going to come up with the same things! It didn't matter one bit if I traveled across the land or just kept reloading the same stupid dungeon. What's worse? Didn't get what you wanted? Oh that's o.k. just reload and walk back in. That's "canned". What's more, all the dungeons looked exactly the same more or less. I realize that the dungeon basics were the same in MW, however, I think that the creativity and difference in the types of dungeons would quite override the problem of monotony. This wasn't the case in Oblivion at all. Less dungeon creativity, less item originality and smaller overall world equates to "NO need to explore"!

So, anyone know what the scoop is on 5?

Todd said that in Oblivion there was only one (1) guy working on the dungeons, and in Skyrim there are nine (9).

Trust them, they know what they are doing.

Actually, the entire development angle of Skyrim seems to be a direct reaction to the "canned"/canned-ness (cannededness???) of Oblivion. They've drawn more concept artwork than they ever did for any game before, and they're making the locations unique. This will be "fresh-picked".

They announced that while Skyrim won't actually be larger than Cyrodiil in terms of area, it will still feel and be bigger. Know what that means? You know how the Morrowind map was actually really small compared to Cyrodiil, but felt HUGE because of how it was designed? Yeah. Now imagine that sort of planning being applied to something that is actually Cyrodiil-scale.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were put together with a very different agenda in mind. It was Bethesda's foray into "How do we make an Xbox game right?" Well now they've learned, and now they'll return doing what they were competent at doing before, flex their old abilities, and see if they can outdo themselves on their own familiar ground after eight years. That's what they do. They like to swing back and forth. They're going to make Skyrim the true successor to dwarf Morrowind, and then go explore some other tangent for a really long time while we all wait.

Edited by Jermungand

They announced that while Skyrim won't actually be larger than Cyrodiil in terms of area, it will still feel and be bigger. Know what that means? You know how the Morrowind map was actually really small compared to Cyrodiil, but felt HUGE because of how it was designed?

Morrowind was huge because you could spend an hour in one town then walk across hills getting completely lost before you find your way to the cave. Skyrim will be tiny because you get your quest which is predesigned for your level then quicktravel to the nearest point and follow your compass straight there. No matter how well they detail the dungeons, no player interaction and no exploration can only equal a small railroaded walk.

Edited by hurrdurrmurrgurr

(cannededness???) hahahahaha Well, I'm really happy to hear about the "fresh pickedness" of TES V. :-) Overall, it sounds like a game I'll be looking forward to. And, the arrows and character interaction, well, I didn't always use that stuff anyhow. As for me, I don't think that'll be a problem, but I can't speak for everyone else. So, thanks for all you guys' input. And, the fact that there are 9, as apposed to 1, designers... wow. Now, about those faces..... Edited by Goodfortitude

god i hope the dongeuns are diffrent i hope the main quest has more diffrenial between quest oblivion was like close this gate now close this gate now this gate ect. and i hope every quest doesnt take you to a cave OMG it was like very other quest i was in a effing cave lol

They announced that while Skyrim won't actually be larger than Cyrodiil in terms of area, it will still feel and be bigger. Know what that means? You know how the Morrowind map was actually really small compared to Cyrodiil, but felt HUGE because of how it was designed?

Morrowind was huge because you could spend an hour in one town then walk across hills getting completely lost before you find your way to the cave. Skyrim will be tiny because you get your quest which is predesigned for your level then quicktravel to the nearest point and follow your compass straight there. No matter how well they detail the dungeons, no player interaction and no exploration can only equal a small railroaded walk.

In Skyrim, the quest you receive will be for locations that you haven't visited before (Until you've visited every location of course^^), so you can't fast travel to the quest location.

You don't have to use the compass at all, and certainly not fast travel! Try not using those, and experience the grand size of Skyrim! :D (For the record, doing that made Oblivion MUCH better, even though it still didn't feel that big because of absolutely no mountains in the province, except from in the north...)

In Skyrim, the quest you receive will be for locations that you haven't visited before (Until you've visited every location of course^^), so you can't fast travel to the quest location.

You don't have to use the compass at all, and certainly not fast travel! Try not using those, and experience the grand size of Skyrim! :D (For the record, doing that made Oblivion MUCH better, even though it still didn't feel that big because of absolutely no mountains in the province, except from in the north...)

The environment of oblivion for the most part was unappealing. It just felt like they copy and pasted cells, then added trees, then ruins, then shrines. There were some great areas like leawin and bruma, but overall it just looked like a generic fairytale land.

Assuming skyrim fixes this it will be great.