useful midas spells

mrolympia78

there are over 300 midas spells I think, some are useful, some are awesome looking but have too many limitations as they only work outdoors, only cast once per day, have glitch problems (I'm looking at you, mega fireball), try to kill you, etc. Some won't even put a dent in the health of the enemy you're trying to kill. Trying to find the useful ones not just for myself but as a list for other people who just want the "good ones". Hopefully this will save everybody a lot of time having to make then test out each and every spell. Just FYI, our opinions on "useful" will probably differ so no flaming and try to limit the sarcastic responses.

Haven't played the game in a while, but some of the spells work as great utility spells. The one that comes to mind right now is Stone Wall I think. Whatever the name of the spell, it summons a fairly large stone slab where ever casted. I've used it to block off hallways and slow down hordes of enemies chasing me. Are you going to make a list of sorts?

I believe it's a bit hard to really tell what are the "best" or "most useful" spells from Midas Magic. They are so varied it really depends too much on subjective game styles. I too, as Fonger before me probably does, find the summon spells to be the most interesting (what's more fun, fighting the balrog with your little squad of cheesy - quite literally :tongue: - atronachs, or just spamming some nuclear blasts at the poor beast?), but also the various force spells can be both powerful and very fun to experiment with.

Actually, about supposedly "weak" Midas' spells, you'll probably notice most of those that deal what seems to be too low damage for their level/magicka cost are the ones dealing physical/force damage together with elemental/magical. As those kinds of damage bypass any defense or can be quite exploited with the staggering/push away effects, they obviously cost more and aren't supposed to be judged just by some sort of dmg/s ratio.

The master level area spells working only in exterior cells might look as being of little usefulness to several players, but they will be extremely useful to those who play with overhauls or any mod which multiplies spawning points in the wilderness areas. When you never meet more than 2-3 creatures you'll never need 'em, but once in your game there's the chance of being ambushed by gangs composed of a dozen bandits, well, those spells will become a blessing.

The real "issue" is, imho, when people want to powerplay this mod (I do it too, you just can't help but be eager to see what that next spell will do or how will it look :happy: ): that way you end up with a cluttered spell list while you keep using only those few that you find most useful for your playing style. I believe the balance the mod aims for is specialization and characterization- as the whole creation of astral realms and specific spellbooks divided into "schools" of magic suggests: you should be encouraged at building either a paladin character who uses mostly just the holy spells, a conjurer, a destruction master specialized in a certain element, a necromancer with eldritch spells and so on. Unfortunately, the vanilla leveling system which lets you easily become a master in pretty much every skill doesn't help: you actually have to restrain yourself, something few are prone to do.

Edited by kadath

there are over 300 midas spells I think, some are useful, some are awesome looking but have too many limitations as they only work outdoors, only cast once per day, have glitch problems (I'm looking at you, mega fireball), try to kill you, etc. Some won't even put a dent in the health of the enemy you're trying to kill. Trying to find the useful ones not just for myself but as a list for other people who just want the "good ones". Hopefully this will save everybody a lot of time having to make then test out each and every spell. Just FYI, our opinions on "useful" will probably differ so no flaming and try to limit the sarcastic responses.

I'm interested in that as well.

So far, the most useful spells I've used are chain fireball and chain lightning. They are on target spells that, when casted, release a fireball/bolt that has a chance of jumping to another enemy based on the player's luck.

I think with a mod like this, that wizard's spell book mod would come in handy. You write the spells in it and it takes it away from your spell list where you can eventually recall it back later and take it back out of the book. It's sort of like a separate inventory for spells. Can't think of the name of it specifically though.

Depends on what you consider useful. I had a lot of fun with the combination of Midas Touch - turning dead bodies (including creatures) into gold coins and Gold finder. After slaughtering and salvaging the gear of all of the enemies in an area, I hit the bodies with Midas Touch, then turned the gold finder loose and either watched it mindlessly sweep the battlefield for gold coins, or moved on leaving it to work. Even a dead rat found beside the road can be turned into a few coins with Midas Touch.

Seeing as most of the spells are D&D based, it'd be nice to have a list compiled stating which spells would be appropriate for or compliment various builds. If no one else does it, I may start a thread up for it, but I'd need help seeing as I probably won't be able to play for a few weeks. My copy of the game is currently back at my old residence and it's about 100 dollars there and back.

The two most useful damaging spells for me would be midas Grand Magic Missiles, and Arcane Burst. One blast of magic capable of mowing down a whole line of enemies at once (and that goes through walls nonetheless), and a nice AOE knock back + damage. Can't really ask for much more when facing lots of enemies.

As for utility spells, Astral recall is the most useful for getting out of dungeons that I've gotten to the end to, and don't want to go all the way back out.