Custom .DDS causing mysterious crashing in GECK

BerlinRunner

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nymq4d2l4f3xiy/ScorpionJacket.dds?dl=0

I did everything by the box, meaning my BC3 compression is right, I generated mipmaps when I exported, etc. Standard custom .DDS things you gotta do. For whatever reason, the geck crashes whenever I try to open it in the textures menu.

Anyone know how to resolve it? My work is up there, check for whatever you need to check but it's all there I promise.

Edited by BerlinRunner

Must be your dds save settings I just now resized it and saved as DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp I interpolated alpha with mip map gen, did the same for the normal I made and worked fine for me to bring in to geck. I just created a texture set for it.

Your gonna have to break that down for me lol. Sorry, I'm not THAT knowledgeable of gimp and retexturing. I know the basics and a little more but thats about it. If you got it to work, please show me your ways or if it's easier, just send me a link to download the corrected file.

I did what you said to what I could understand, which was change the export setting from BC3 to DXT5 ARGB which kind of worked, it actually loaded into the geck but colors are all bright and completely wrong lol.

Edited by BerlinRunner

I take it you ran this through FNVEdit to find that the .dds file had the error? If so let me know, I might be able to salvage your efforts. I have a way That I've never seen posted on the internet, and I've unbricked 10+ mods from custom .dds files in the past, along with a few statics.

EDIT: My best bet always, is to open the texture I want to change (corresponding size wise in FONV's vanilla armors (from the texture .BSA)) and edit that, or make my own from scratch to it's uv map, then matching the size to the extracted one and pasting it ON THE .DDS FILE. Then I export that with a unique name (or overwrite replacer) and save it to my FONV folder in the correctly named/placed directory.

Edited by SKYZOO

Here, try this .dds file I just whipped up. It's yours, with the properties of a powder gangers vanilla jacket (not the look of theirs, but yours pasted on top to take their properties, 1024X1024 W/ vanilla props). Here is the DropBox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqesas9kvmfrera/ScorpionJacket.dds?dl=0

Remember to back up your OG file, even if it's not cooperating. If it doesn't help, then sorry my friend. I'm tapped for ideas, but try that though.

Edited by SKYZOO

Happy to help! Take my method, and use that from now on. It should always work, and it is not stealing or copying, just using in-game vanilla files that have pre-associated properties to them, and export as such without changing, even if you copy and fit your .JPG onto it. (As long as FO3 stays with FO3 and FNV stays with FNV.)

Cheers buddy!

EDIT: I used "paint.net" by the way, great little free program for this function, eliminates all others for most textures (depending on what you're doing).

Edited by SKYZOO