How to open bsa files and interact with contents

Yolins

Hey people!

Look,

In order to perform a certain "action", I must delete some specific scripts located in the Data/Scripts folder.

However there is no scripts folder in my skyrum's data folder.

There are only those files:

Skyrim - Animations.bsa

Skyrim - Inrterface.bsa

Skyrim - Meshes.bsa

Skyrim - Misc.bsa

Skyrim - Shaders.bsa

Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

Skyrim - Textures.bsa

Skyrim - Voices.bsa

Skyrim - Voicesextra.bsa

Update.bsa

HearthFires.bsa

Dragonborn.bsa

Dawnguard.bsa

among with some other bsa files which come from some mods.

I have used a program (I don't remember it's name) with which I managed to locate some of the .pex files I want ot delete in the Misc bsa.

The only thing I could do was to extract them with the original bsa file remaining untouched.

How can I "explore" those bsa files and delete the files I want to?

I have the latest version of skyrim, a validate copy (purchaced via steam) and I use windows Vista 32 bit.

Edited by Yolins

i asked this question a while back, i was told bsa opt or fallout mod manager can both be used to extract bsa files, and that i should put them in their own folder and not mix them in with the existing skyrim files. if you already use a mod manager like NMM or Mod Organizer, you could just get bsa opt, i believe it is on nexusmods for download? i don't know if they can separate the pex files for you, but i found there is a ton of instructional videos on youtube that could probably tell you how to do it, and if you need a specific program. hope i've been of some help, still pretty much a newbie myself lol but i've done a lot of research! lol i read too much i've been told :)

After I extract them should I put every file from every bsa file to one folder or I should create a lot of folders like scripts, meshes, textures etc?

By the way your post your really really helpfull. Thanks!

Edited by Yolins

good question! here's one instructional video i found on youtube, the guy is using fallout mod manager, but as i said it's probably easier to use bsa opt if you are already using another mod manager (i prefer mod organizer above all others personally) but this guy tells you how to unpack and to extract them somewhere else

also, this next guys instructional videos are very good, and in this video he shows step by step 3 different ways to unpack bsa files
i hope these help you, i have watched more videos on modding than i have made mods so far, trying to get ready! lol good luck

Whatever this "reason" was its telling you to delete loose script files in Data\Scripts. If the files do not exist theres nothing to delete so this "solution" isn't going to work... :ermm:

You can extract loose scripts from the BSA and delete them but its pointless because they still exist in the BSA and will still fire from there. They're even baked into your SaveGame file and will fire from there too so deleting loose scripts won't stop them either (use a SaveGame Script Cleaner instead)

If you're trying to delete scripts from Skyrims vanilla BSA's... don't. The game requires them to work so removing them will break the game. If you want to overwrite vanilla scripts then BSA's that are lower in the load order or loose script files will overwrite them when the game loads...

Ultimately.... its better to ask the question why are you trying to delete script files? If its a mod telling you to do so they're almost certainly talking about loose script files which the mod installs. If you don't have a scripts folder theres nothing to worry about....

n.b. if you want a copy of every script in the game download the Creation Kit (free) and unzip the Scripts.rar file that comes with it. Every vanilla script in the game is in there.