Blue Screen of Death

Lehcar

Does anyone have any idea what can cause Oblivion to randomly crash and also trigger a BSOD?

Mine does this quite a lot. It's been doing it for awhile and honestly I have no idea why.

It's always an error with the same DLL file, "ati2cqag". But I have no idea what could be causing it.

Sounds like you are experiencing a driver issue. What OS do you have? If it is XP, you might want to download the newest ATI Drivers for your graphics card, and then Guru3D's Driver Sweeper. Uninstall your old drivers, run Driver Sweeper to clean up the extra ATI files and install the new ATI Driver. If you have Windows 7, that thing uninstalls, cleans up, and updates pretty much through Window's Updates. If you don't want to download Driver Sweeper, you don't really have to. It's just what a lot of people do when they frequently replace GPU's so that there are no issues with incompatible drivers. If you do use it, remember to only sweep ATI Drivers using the Checkboxes.

You need to include the full text of the blue screen STOP message. The fact that it refers to ati2cqag indicates that your graphics driver is involved, but the STOP message may indicate more, ie. it could be equally a hardware issue.