LW Projects (...after final version #3)

Zyxpsilon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steadfast perk is woefully boring and underpowered.

If anything it should give double the Will bonus. Another option (or in addition to) would be to keep the bonus the same, and have -24 hours for fatigue and -48 hours injury time.

Or have the Will bonus and fatigue/injury reduction scale with missions or injuries over time.

It might still not be enough, it certainly will make it feel good when you feel you 'have to' take Steadfast. :smile:

Edited by jgbaxter

jg... this is the kind of "minor" modding attempts that could just as easily be achieved if you posted about it in the dedicated "Requests" (or Long-War "Modding") thread for some active Modders to be made aware of.

Our thread is more about major projects that would add extensive new features to the LW gameplay.

@ob...I don't think there's any animations for MECs being shown as invisible. While I think it's perfectly possible to have them treated as invisible, without the animations it would either look weird or exactly the same(which is still weird).

Well there ya go, wasn't sure if they changed animations/models, or how that's done tbh. I'm no good with most artsy stuff lol, no one else had answered so tried my luck :D.

Just want to give an updated list of current projects going on my the modders on this site. As Zyx has stated, these are "large" undertakings, not small or simple madifications. Let me know if I missed something someone else saw as a large project.

#1) LW Pedia:(Not started, interest from Zyxpsilon and Dethraker)

It's been hinted about in other threads and some players have even requested this kind of feature. In general terms, what you'd get is a new "Research Option" that leads to an hybrid set of screens that develop most ingame data & infos. I've already begun work on a sampling method that uses a "centralized" tech-tree surrounded by areas that contain details, combo-lists & quick access buttons... if i can gather enough interests (or serious development partners), i'll share this stuff.

#2) CAMPAIGN SUMMARY:(In progress, Zyxpsilon, Tracktwo, and XMTS)

Written about elsewhere, also. It goes underneath the "Situation Room" menu and would offer players a bunch of statistics on their current games; ...where, what, when -- sort of. Imagine for a minute that everything that occurs is being tracked down and every relevant info can be displayed at will. Amineri has already hinted that such gimmick could be easy to implement. All is needed is the skillsets and minds to develop it.

#3) EXPANDING EXALT:(Not started, interest from Krazyguy75)

There have been a few ideas suggested for adding to EXALT:

• Adding more Classes
  • Placing EXALT as a separate entity that can show up and fight against both XCom AND the aliens
  • Expanding weapons, plasma, armors, etc.
  • Adding MECs to the EXALT
  • Separate them from aliens, no more coordinating, EXALT are war "profiteers"

#4) AUTO-RESOLVE OF MISSIONS(Not started, idea presented by Amineri)

As Amineri went over there is already code from vanilla that the LW team did not utilize or in her words "somehow managed to not break". So it would be a matter of(and I'm assuming here):

• Creating a UI to choose if you want to "auto-resolve" a tactical mission
  • Making sure the auto-resolve doesn't always favor either XCom, or the aliens(and also EXALT if option 3 is added)

#5) ALTERNATE TECH AND FOUNDRY(In progress, Dethraker)

An alternate choice that will be presented as a 2nd Wave option to allow a "non-linear"(not sure if that is actually the correct terminology, but it's the popular one) tech tree. In other words instead of Ballistics >> Beam >> Gauss >> Pulse >> Plasma, it wouldn't be a determined path.

The intent is to "force" a choice between one tech line or another. The plan currently only consists of two choices Advanced Balistics OR Laser, and Advanced MECs OR Expanded Gene Mods. Each choice will unlock several possibilities, but will also lock off the other option entirely.

Further Foundry Projects will play a much larger role. The Research will merely unlock the technology, but the foundry(or rather the Engineers) will have to figure out how to implement that tech. Example: Research Beam Weaponry, unlocks "Prototype Beam Laser" and a few Foundry Projects that will unlock subsequent weapon types.

#6) EXPANDED INTERCEPTOR GAME(In progress, Pendra)

amaciel81 made some interesting concept suggestions(not sure if amaciel81 does any modding), additions to the interceptor mini-game were the first 3 of these.

#7) ALIEN DRONE AS INVENTORY ITEM(Presented by amaciel81)

A clever idea to make drones "capture-able". Since you can bring back weapons from live aliens that you capture, why not be able to "re-purpose" an enemy drone? As suggested you can then have Engineers(or other specific class types, maybe MECs too?) equip the drone as a large item and carry it into the field with them. My concerns:

• Would the drone automatically be placed on the map at map start, or would it be a "use-able" item?
  • Would this affect the skyranger capacity in some way?

Personally I really like this idea also, I might try looking into it after I finish my alternate tech tree.

As far as Expanding EXALT, I was thinking about something that would be interesting to me the other day, I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Originally I was trying to think of a way to make aliens even harder, I started wondering if you could duplicate the Soldier leveling process and utilize it for the enemies. Now I'm aware that in EU/EW you usually kill all the aliens/EXALT in order to "complete" the map. But in thinking about adding in EXALT as a separate entity that can show up on maps as an additional hurdle I started wondering:

• Give EXALT specific agendas on maps, once the agenda is achieved they book it to their own extraction
  • If an EXALT "leader" manages to make it to extraction, their stats are saved and they level up
  • Have background systems working to determine injuries and such for EXALT leaders(remove fatigue for EXALT due to gene-mods)
  • If an EXALT leader that survived a mission is not injured it returns to the field on their next mission
Edited by Dethraker

@ob...I don't think there's any animations for MECs being shown as invisible. While I think it's perfectly possible to have them treated as invisible, without the animations it would either look weird or exactly the same(which is still weird).

Well, it works fine when you use a ghost grenade on a mec, so im guessing that it should be possible? :)

Dethraker,

Nice overview of on-going projects from which i've found some interesting facts that i wasn't (entirely) aware of.

Maybe, i was just toooooo busy with those Summary-Mockups! :wink:

1) LW-Pedia... You actually *ARE* planning something, right? Well that's really great news. Thus -- if you want anything from me (like a generic framework that would show you the essential concept in relatively simple details and HUD elements) please just ask for it! I'm ready and willing to share some of that early phase stuff. :ninja:

2) Currently heading strong & steady towards a "Journalizing" feature in short-term. As TrackTwo stated, the whole Summary principles represent a gigantic code undertaking though. It may take awhile to say the least.

3) & 4) We'll have to see what the future holds, i guess.

5) -- 6) -- 7) I wish good luck to each as i'm sure such tricky gameplay assets could be a lot of fun to play with.

8... and more? I'm fairly certain there are a number of unknown projects that could probably qualify as major tasks (or personal ideas worth anyone's attention) that we haven't heard about or noticed yet. (( Yep, Spazmo -- you are indeed part of that mysterious formula!! ))

I just hope many of the above will see the light of days -- sooner than never. As we all know -- XCom2 is comin' and will possibly take a big stab at our free-times or modding schedules. Three more months to go. Cross-fingers, people.

As far as my current intentions goes -- i've mostly never given up on a few cool MODS in the past; GalCiv2, Civ5... they both got their own final products in due-time.

XCom is active & running wild. Color me in the rainbow magic hues if you want -- fact is, i just won't stop until i'm through and satisfied with formal results that deserve proper distribution to the masses. :D

Soooooo -- let's keep going!

PS; Pretty sure... your Exalt Scaling System would neatly fit in some ways with the agenda exposed by KrazyGuy's #3!

Edited by Zyxpsilon

Dethraker,

1) LW-Pedia... You actually *ARE* planning something, right? Well that's really great news. Thus -- if you want anything from me (like a generic framework that would show you the essential concept in relatively simple details and HUD elements) please just ask for it! I'm ready and willing to share some of that early phase stuff. :ninja:

8... and more? I'm fairly certain there are a number of unknown projects that could probably qualify as major tasks (or personal ideas worth anyone's attention) that we haven't heard about or noticed yet. (( Yep, Spazmo -- you are indeed part of that mysterious formula!! ))

I just hope many of the above will see the light of days -- sooner than never. As we all know -- XCom2 is comin' and will possibly take a big stab at our free-times or modding schedules. Three more months to go. Cross-fingers, people.

As far as my current intentions goes -- i've mostly never given up on a few cool MODS in the past; GalCiv2, Civ5... they both got their own final products in due-time.

XCom is active & running wild. Color me in the rainbow magic hues if you want -- fact is, i just won't stop until i'm through and satisfied with formal results that deserve proper distribution to the masses. :D

Soooooo -- let's keep going!

PS; Pretty sure... your Exalt Scaling System would neatly fit in some ways with the agenda exposed by KrazyGuy's #3!

1) I don't have any formal intentions or plans in regards to the LW-pedia that you were suggesting. I am however very interested in working on the project when others have started, or I have finished my own project. You seem to have a much grander idea of what to do in regards to the LW-pedia so when one or both of us decide to start brainstorming we can create a new thread at that point.

8 ) I know of a few other projects in the works, but was only referring to ones currently being discussed inside this topic. It's actually nice to see so much activity and planning despite XCom2 lurking just months away. I hope others continue to mod EU/EW/LW after XCom2 has launched, but I wouldn't be surprised in a dip in activity shortly after launch to play around with the incoming modding tools. I know I personally want to see what they offer.

EXALT) That is what I was referring to, if Krazy(and/or others) starts working on expanding EXALT then I will probably look into duplicating the XCom soldier xp gain and utilizing it for EXALT leader units, but for now I just don't have enough personal interest and my time is still very limited so all that is available currently goes to my own project. When that's done though, who knows.

Edited by Dethraker