Stop me if i'm wrong but.. is not ES V the first

TrexTitan

Well, sure there were RPG's that had their 'northern' provinces... But is not this the first where the game takes place in a northern/scandinavian type setting? sure we have had quite a few 'german' forest and castles rpg's, most are. I'm friggin psyched about this. it such a great setting, huge mounainus craggy peaks, secluded cave 2000 meters above ground level, with untold ancient secrets within. hard to traverse mountain passes with hardened wildlife. I remember playing gothic 3, my favorite region by far were Nordmar. spent hours hunting there, gathering rep to don my heavy nordmarian armor and einars helmet, went around killing sabertooths with my halberd : D

This looks like it will be more of that, and i'm sooo excited. The rpg scene is pretty much starved with environments and scenes like this, i'm sure many will enjoy the change of scenery! Harsh nature is beautiful nature!

Gonna Play a Nord viking warrior for sure, think i might even roleplay some : D

Whats your guys thoughts? if you think about it, this will be the first large rpg in this setting, so what? psyched or disappointed?

Well, sure there were RPG's that had their 'northern' provinces... But is not this the first where the game takes place in a northern/scandinavian type setting? sure we have had quite a few 'german' forest and castles rpg's, most are. I'm friggin psyched about this. it such a great setting, huge mounainus craggy peaks, secluded cave 2000 meters above ground level, with untold ancient secrets within. hard to traverse mountain passes with hardened wildlife. I remember playing gothic 3, my favorite region by far were Nordmar. spent hours hunting there, gathering rep to don my heavy nordmarian armor and einars helmet, went around killing sabertooths with my halberd : D

This looks like it will be more of that, and i'm sooo excited. The rpg scene is pretty much starved with environments and scenes like this, i'm sure many will enjoy the change of scenery! Harsh nature is beautiful nature!

Gonna Play a Nord viking warrior for sure, think i might even roleplay some : D

Whats your guys thoughts? if you think about it, this will be the first large rpg in this setting, so what? psyched or disappointed?

I am pretty psyched about this, however the Morrowind Bloodmoon expansion reflects some of the design in this game, no it wasn't Skyrim but the feeling is the closest than any other Elder Scrolls games. This was stated by Bethesda themselves! Want proof? Go to their websites!

No i know, but from the way you said it, it almost sounds like that would contradict something i said x)

But it is clear where skyrim gets its inspirations; scandinavia and vikings. during one of the interviews i saw numerous viking books, and the scenery of skyrim bear close resemblence of the mountainus regions of norway.

which makes me wonder, the north coast of skyrim, will it be inhabited? will we see nord sailors? maybe go by boat to islands off the continent to the far north?

I myself am a fan of mountainous cold places.I live in a valley in New York surrounded by mountains and woods, and currently, about 3.5 feet of snow.I am also an advanced skiier and winter rescue technician(ski patrol). I already started my own thread on this, but since this game is pretty much a first I believe Bethesda has a unique oppurtunity on their hands. They can have a "realistic hardcore option" or not. I hope they don't blow this opportunity with a white, elevated, version of oblivion.I want the option to trek through blizzards and get stuck in the snow, a few feet of snow mind you, not a "dynamic" dusting on rocks and trees, maybe freeze to death if I do something dumb(wear my metal armor in a blizzard, take a nice meltwater swim, etc.).Also an avid rock climber I think this should be a part of the game and maybe a skill. Take the long dangerous way,unless you're a rock climber with the gear, just scale that cliff.Also maybe take the "breath bar"from swimming and apply that to hypothermia.That's be cool. And yea I'm psyched too! :laugh:

No i know, but from the way you said it, it almost sounds like that would contradict something i said x)

But it is clear where skyrim gets its inspirations; scandinavia and vikings. during one of the interviews i saw numerous viking books, and the scenery of skyrim bear close resemblence of the mountainus regions of norway.

which makes me wonder, the north coast of skyrim, will it be inhabited? will we see nord sailors? maybe go by boat to islands off the continent to the far north?

I don't know but I have always loved the drawings I've seen growing up depicting vikings hunting at sea with their marvelous dragon shaped ships!! I hope to see people on and off shores. Akavir would be in my opinion one of three perfect places for expansions. The other two would have to be Hammerfell and High Rock (in my opinion)! You ask the questions that others won't, for that I thank you!!

p.s. Would you want the oceans to be inhabited with sea monsters like in mythology? If so then what kinds and what specifically?

I wouldn't say the first. There was Icewind dale series at least off the top of my head which was an rpg completely set in a frozen northern mountain setting with Scandinavian styled warriors.

Well, that were an top down action rpg, like sacred or diablo, i was thinking more along the lines of 3rd/1st person, with an exclusive northern setting. which this would be the first.

And yes i know that the gothic games did this x) said so in my post. gothic 3 nordmar <3

I don't know but I have always loved the drawings I've seen growing up depicting vikings hunting at sea with their marvelous dragon shaped ships!! I hope to see people on and off shores. Akavir would be in my opinion one of three perfect places for expansions. The other two would have to be Hammerfell and High Rock (in my opinion)! You ask the questions that others won't, for that I thank you!!

p.s. Would you want the oceans to be inhabited with sea monsters like in mythology? If so then what kinds and what specifically?

Hm, yeah i have been thinking about this too, northern sea had a wealth of mythological creatures, from wyrms to the kraken, and anything in between. Maybe a kraken attack as part of a quest? since i think a free roaming kraken would be kinda.. x) hard to do, not to mention inferable for the hero to defeat. Though ship combat would have been great against lesser beasts. maybe a greater wyrm that, if encountered would make its way towards you from a distance, curling its way through the waves in a zig zag pattern towards your longboat. You and the other nords aboard would engage it by arrow or spellfire. maybe an shock spell to the water close to where its head hit the water could stun it? Pelt it with arrows until it retreats, is dead, or it smashes your boat. in which case you would be helpless but not defenseless. would be haunting to have to fight such a battle to the end, being picked out from the murky depths by a wyrm. Kinda like how you feel in crysis when you swim to far offshore, only to discover that a great white is circling around you. fight if you must, but you will die.

Surly there are something in the north sea worth adding some quests or incentive for exploring. would make a great place for a hidden high level boss dungeon.