Stop me if i'm wrong but.. is not ES V the first

TrexTitan

I wouldn't say the first. There was Icewind dale series at least off the top of my head which was an rpg completely set in a frozen northern mountain setting with Scandinavian styled warriors.

Well, that were an top down action rpg, like sacred or diablo, i was thinking more along the lines of 3rd/1st person, with an exclusive northern setting. which this would be the first.

And yes i know that the gothic games did this x) said so in my post. gothic 3 nordmar <3

Your post contradict itself...

You say you think Skyrim will be the first, yet you know Gothic 3 already did this^^

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read the "Exclusive" part. :P

I wouldn't say the first. There was Icewind dale series at least off the top of my head which was an rpg completely set in a frozen northern mountain setting with Scandinavian styled warriors.

Well, that were an top down action rpg, like sacred or diablo, i was thinking more along the lines of 3rd/1st person, with an exclusive northern setting. which this would be the first.

And yes i know that the gothic games did this x) said so in my post. gothic 3 nordmar <3

Well now your getting too specific. What if I said, was Jimi Hendrix the first African American to play electric guitar's professionally. The answer would be no. But if I said was Jimi Hendrix the first African American to play the Star Spangled Banner on an electric guitar at Woodstock in 1969? The answer would be yes.

Everything is a first depending on how specific you want to get. That doesn't really make it completely original though.

... the top down action rpg is the spesific genre... not 3rd person, which is what most people think of when thinking of western rpg... so don't get too clever. icewind dale was a top down action rpg in that setting, apart from that i can't think of anyone. It's not like i'm being obscure or overly specific here. icewind dale plays nothing like oblivion/gothic/two worlds and so on. you can use that argument on me once i say "well skyrim will be the first were you can have horned helmets"... Thats specific. so yeah...

Plenty? name some? apart from icewind dale, which recent (2000 and later) game had its entire setting set in a NE/scandinavian setting? Apart from some viking action games that came post 05 i think, which were more akin to god of war than an rpg, i can't think of anyone...

The medival europe forests is very much represented though.

... the top down action rpg is the spesific genre... not 3rd person, which is what most people think of when thinking of western rpg... so don't get too clever. icewind dale was a top down action rpg in that setting, apart from that i can't think of anyone. It's not like i'm being obscure or overly specific here. icewind dale plays nothing like oblivion/gothic/two worlds and so on. you can use that argument on me once i say "well skyrim will be the first were you can have horned helmets"... Thats specific. so yeah...

Plenty? name some? apart from icewind dale, which recent (2000 and later) game had its entire setting set in a NE/scandinavian setting? Apart from some viking action games that came post 05 i think, which were more akin to god of war than an rpg, i can't think of anyone...

The medival europe forests is very much represented though.

I just told you. Might and Magic 9.

... the top down action rpg is the spesific genre... not 3rd person, which is what I think of when thinking of western rpg...

Corrected. You will find there are a lot of older gamers to whom the top down action RPG in the western setting is the norm, myself included. Shadowrun, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Hellfire, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape... the list goes on and on. Infact many newer games can be played in top down mode, like Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 AND Dragonage Origins, which I played exclusively in top down view. When DA2 comes out I plan to only play it in top down. You can't tell me it's a specific game when new games are still including this mode and can do both.

Hell, I'm sure you could turn Oblivion into a top down rpg with a few tweaks here and there and it would work just fine.

Skyrim won't be the first exclusively northern climated fantasy rpg. But hopefully it will be the best.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece