Changing the main menu image

SColla

The image used in the main menu is called main_background.dds and resides in Fallout - Textures2.bsa. You can use the BSA Browser in Fallout Mod Manager to extract it and edit it as you wish, you need some image software capable of editing and saving .dds files.

When you're happy with the results, put the modified main_background.dds in the appropriate folder, it should be your new vegas folder\Data\Textures\interface\main. You probably need to enable archive invalidation to have NV accept the new file, the aforementioned Fallout Mod Manager can do that.

If this fails, the friendly people in the modding forums should be able to help you out. :)

Edited by GenocideLolita

The image used in the main menu is called main_background.dds and resides in Fallout - Textures2.bsa. You can use the BSA Browser in Fallout Mod Manager to extract it and edit it as you wish, you need some image software capable of editing and saving .dds files.

When you're happy with the results, put the modified main_background.dds in the appropriate folder, it should be your new vegas folder\Data\Textures\interface\main. You probably need to enable archive invalidation to have NV accept the new file, the aforementioned Fallout Mod Manager can do that.

If this fails, the friendly people in the modding forums should be able to help you out. :)

Thank you GenocideLolita for the info. Been trying for about 20minutes now and not getting it done. Will post the image and ask politely in the mod forum and see if someone will make it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, It's really simple to do yourself. Do you have Paint.Net? You can get it here for free:

http://www.getpaint.net/

Once you have it installed, Open up your Al Capone image. Then save it as main_background as a .dds file. Save it in your Fallout New Vegas\Data\Textures\interface\main\ folder. If you don't already have that folder, I assume you know how to create it easily enough.

• 8 years later...

Fun fact, you can rename a jpg to main_background.dds and it'll work without the need to convert it, how that happens I don't know, I found it out when I went to edit a downloaded background replacer, the background I'd had for months was a jpg.

Just to see what happened I replaced an in game texture with a renamed jpg and it worked, this is an Assassins Creed screenshot replacing the pool texture https://i.imgur.com/DZPuXZk.jpg It's obviously not something anyone should do and it's not going to work with transparencies so it's kinda pointless.