Trade Skills, Blacksmithing

V1TALxS1GNS

So I have read in a few different places that TES V: Skyrim will allow people to have their characters do trade tasks such as Mining / Blacksmithing. Seeing how primarily throughout the TES series i have typically rolled my self with the classic Sword and Board character encased in heavy armor waiting to take down legions on foes. But when I hear that there will be mining and blacksmithing in Skyrim then i can't help but cry out in joy. This topic brings numerous questions to my mind as I think about it. Where will we be getting the ore / materials needed for the blacksmithing? Will we be required to carry a pickaxe around with us while clearing out dungeons and caves in search of veins? Will the veins be a common thing to come across in the wilderness or primarily will they be located deep underground; and if so will they atleast have a respawn in their found locations or will they be moved to a new location in Skyrim?

Along with the whole needing to find the ore for the actual blacksmithing process, will we also be made to go into a city and smelt at a blacksmithing shop? Maybe this will help incorporate some of the miscellaneous objects that were in Oblivion that seemed to have no use such as the Tongs. Also, might this put a use for gems into the game? Perhaps you could place gems (by gems I mean the ones that you would find in jewelry not Soul Gems) into the armor/weapon that you are crafting to change its tint or for decoration. Possibly gems could be used as a secondary enchant onto your equipment to possibly make them increase your resistances to specific things like the following:

•  
  • Sapphire gives resistance to Frost
  • Ruby gives resistance to Fire
  • Topaz gives resistance to Shock
  • Emerald gives Resistance to Poisons and Disease
  • Diamonds gives resistance to Normal Weapons or Magic or adds more Armor Value.

Perhaps there is a possibility that you could add a soul gem into your armor and depending on soul you place into the soul gem (via a Soultrap spell on an enemy who has just been slain) and this could give a variety of different effects. They could place creatures and monsters into categories so that we know which beings will give which enchantment. The higher the level of the creature's soul the more of an increase to your stats that the soul gem will give.

Speaking of incorporating gems into armor I can't leave out the possibility of doing the same with weapons can I? The gems could be replacements to enchanting weapons so that non-spell casting people such as berserkers or knights don't have to travel the map in search of spells that they can use on their various weapons. The list of gems to weapon enchantments could be expected such as:

•  
  • Sapphire gives Frost Damage
  • Ruby gives Fire Damage
  • Topaz gives Shock Damage.

Now I am not sure exactly what Emerald and Diamond would do for a weapon but let's be honest, Bethesda could figure something out to help give them some use. I guess the gems in game would act more like Sigil Stones found at the top of the towers in the Gates of Oblivion. This would add a very interesting aspect to the game that would enable the player to get more in depth into their character as to planning what he needs and doesn't need and also adds a great deal of customization to the whole game. If you guys have any more ideas that could add to what i have said i would love to hear them! :biggrin:

Edited by V1TALxS1GNS

I think of it as a Midas Magic kind of deal with the expansions of oblivion too, like Frostcrag's alchemy improvement, or Battlehorn's armorer improvement. Of course I think it would be more involved like how you put forth.

I think of it as a Midas Magic kind of deal with the expansions of oblivion too, like Frostcrag's alchemy improvement, or Battlehorn's armorer improvement. Of course I think it would be more involved like how you put forth.

I was also considering the possibility that they could make it like a classic RPG and just enable the ability to add sockets to armor and fill those sockets with gems to boost stats