Taming animals

DarkenedNeed

You could do it via scripting using Fame and Infamy. Add the script to whichever animal you want to tame and tie it to your Fame so in effect it would be level related to a degree, but not the same as normal leveled creatures. If your Fame drops below a certain level and Infamy grows that creature will react accordingly by either leaving you, or becoming naturally aggressive if that's it's nature.

This is good for special types of animals that your character might identify with. For example, wolves for hunters or even vampires, since traditionally vampires identify with wolves as their special creature.

had a mountain lion as a pet as well, real drag when they die in the game, have the same problem with the horses though.

@ austinrocks

If a particular mod doesn't add the essential status, you could make the horse or any other creature essential in the CS, but be careful with generic creatures as it will make them all essential. It should preferably be done with named unique or mod added ones and not base game creatures. In game you can also use the resurrect command via the console,

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Console_Command_Tutorial#SetEssential_BaseID_.23

Personally, I make my animal companions essential because I can't see the point in having them if they die when the first rat or common wolf attacks. It's no less realistic than anything else in a fantasy game and you could assume they have a special power when in your company that revives them.

I know some people don't like the essential companions, but it's a waste of time activating the esp if you have to be constantly looking out for them when it should be the other way around.

You could do it via scripting using Fame and Infamy. Add the script to whichever animal you want to tame and tie it to your Fame so in effect it would be level related to a degree, but not the same as normal leveled creatures. If your Fame drops below a certain level and Infamy grows that creature will react accordingly by either leaving you, or becoming naturally aggressive if that's it's nature.

This is good for special types of animals that your character might identify with. For example, wolves for hunters or even vampires, since traditionally vampires identify with wolves as their special creature.

had a mountain lion as a pet as well, real drag when they die in the game, have the same problem with the horses though.

@ austinrocks

If a particular mod doesn't add the essential status, you could make the horse or any other creature essential in the CS, but be careful with generic creatures as it will make them all essential. It should preferably be done with named unique or mod added ones and not base game creatures. In game you can also use the resurrect command via the console,

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Console_Command_Tutorial#SetEssential_BaseID_.23

Personally, I make my animal companions essential because I can't see the point in having them if they die when the first rat or common wolf attacks. It's no less realistic than anything else in a fantasy game and you could assume they have a special power when in your company that revives them.

I know some people don't like the essential companions, but it's a waste of time activating the esp if you have to be constantly looking out for them when it should be the other way around.

right make them essential, just never can remember to do that when I am playing