Mod etiquette

Hi all

Question about 'etiquette', if I may.

If after attempting to contact the original author of a mod, they appear to be inactive (or they may state 'retired' on their profile), what's the generally accepted course of action in this scenario if you wish to do something further with their mod? I don't want to go re-distributing what is essentially a cosmetic change to their original mod and risk stepping on toes, but I would like to be able to provide the content that some users are requesting. If the rule of thumb is 'It's just tough luck and you shouldn't upload amended versions of someone else's work without their express permission in any scenario', then I've no issue with that and would concede.

Obviously, I'm hoping the community would say 'grey area' and I could upload but I'll await responses.

Specifically (if interested):

I'd updated Astrid's appearance (A Study in Tragedy), which was quite well received. Some users asked about 'Astrid Reborn', which allows the player to pick up Astrid as a follower after the events of DB have played out. MoonV (original author) created a copy of Astrid for the mod, so my changes don't reflect on that Astrid. I've a personal update that does indeed change her to my version but as said above, I'm a bit in limbo about whether I can/should share this or not as MoonV seems to have been inactive for at least six months from his profile.

Thoughts, please?

Thanks.

Edited by MrStoob

Unless they have in their permissions said the mod can be used, then you must have permission to upload the work if you use the content.

The Terms of Service of the site is pretty explicit. It can be found here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Specifically:

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.
  • All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.
  • Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

Good luck and hope this helps.

That's clear enough. Ah well. Sorry, Astrid fans. :smile:

(Voice from the back): "Mod it yourself you lazy bugger!"

I'd love to but what he's done, and my current skills, I'm not equipped to create such a mod as yet and was yes, trying the 'easy' route. Ha!

Edited by MrStoob

• 2 weeks later...