Witcher 3 is not an Open World Game

Skyrim isnt open world either then. You have to load to enter cities, buildings, dungeons etc in that sense.

This game also just splits things too, but mostly because the places you travel between couldnt be connected in terms of scale.

The Witcher world isn't one made up for the sole purpose of a video game like TES nor does it take place in a single province like every tes since morrowind.

Edited by Alex13

That's probably what they meant. Still that's a letdown for me. You see OPEN WORLD to me rings bells like GTA, Skyrim, Oblivion, Sleeping Dogs.

And I think they should have explained what they meant a tad better. I would have probably bought the game anyway but I would not have had my excpectation shattered into pieces of sorrow and bitterness LOL

It's funny because the games you listed are actually minuscule in comparison to TW3 world size.

I can go from White Orchard to Skellige. I can explore caves and obtain Witcher sets right after prologue. That is open. I could choose to unlock Master Armorsmith and Blacksmith sooner as opposed to later, that is open. One playthrough I pretty much did most of my Gwent challenges before anything else. Yes in the end the content is all finite and limiting, but how you approach it to completion can be vastly different.

• 2 months later...

If you people don't believe TW3 is open world, leave Roach behind and start walking from sign post to sign post. I did it after the conversation with Emhry and leaving Vizima. I just wanted to do exploring so I walked around Velen. It's massive and the 'small' area around the Broken Bridge, Ford, and Abandoned Village rival Skyrim's Holds in size.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you're trolling, or are still in White Orchard. But TW3 is one of, if not the most open world games there is. Yes, it is in "zones" in the sense that you can't just walk or ride from Velen to Skellige, to KM, but the main areas such as Velen and Skellige are much larger than Skyrim. I believe each one is about 50% larger than ALL of base Skyrim. Also you can enter buildings, houses, stores, and caves without having to load into a separate cell.

In Skyrim, if you wanna go into a larger "city" and I use city loosely as the largest "cities" there probably only had about 30 to 50 npcs in them. Game had to load. Walk into a shop, game has to load. Leave shop, game loads. Go into a small cottage or inn, game has to load.

TW3 lets you do all that WITHOUT loading. In fact I was a bit giddy over this and just spent some time going into houses, walking up to the second or third floor, and looking out the window to see all the npcs going about their day in REAL TIME.

TW3 lets you do all that WITHOUT loading. In fact I was a bit giddy over this and just spent some time going into houses, walking up to the second or third floor, and looking out the window to see all the npcs going about their day in REAL TIME.

I agree with you here. That's another reason I wish I didn't play TW3 until after fallout 4. TW3 has pretty much ruined Fallout 4 for me honestly. CDPR did so many things right, and i hope more companies will try to emulate them in the future.

If you people don't believe TW3 is open world, leave Roach behind and start walking from sign post to sign post. I did it after the conversation with Emhry and leaving Vizima. I just wanted to do exploring so I walked around Velen. It's massive and the 'small' area around the Broken Bridge, Ford, and Abandoned Village rival Skyrim's Holds in size.

Yeah, I believe it takes like 15+ minutes with full gallop on Roach to get from one end of Velen to the other.

And that's BEFORE they added a good amount of extra area with Hearts of Stone

I agree with you here. That's another reason I wish I didn't play TW3 until after fallout 4. TW3 has pretty much ruined Fallout 4 for me honestly. CDPR did so many things right, and i hope more companies will try to emulate them in the future.

I never really much cared for the Fallout series, but I was a big Skyrim fan. Put nearly 1k hours into it, and now TW3 has kind of ruined Skyrim for me. The graphics and exploration for Skyrim is amazing and I was wanting to have a game set there ever since I played Morrowind years and years ago but now I can't stand the constant loading terrible combat, and horrible animations due to Bethesda's crappy animations.

I almost want to start a Kickstarter page to outright Buy Bethesda and then make them redo Skyrim to be more like Witcher 3 haha.

I don't like making copmarisons between TW3 and Skyrim, as they were released for 2 different generations of consoles/ pc technology. However Fallout 4 and TW3 were released only a few months apart. They should be compared, and that comparison (in my opinion) shows that Bethesda has been "dethroned" in a sense. Now, instead of people comparing RPGs to Skyrim, the're going to compare them to TW3 in the next few years I think.

Edited by ddavies10693