Installing GOTY edition and Windows 7

Fatalmasterpiece

I've read several others running into similar problems but no solution seems to work.

First I inserted disc one, installed all defaults and then it said it was finished. So I inserted disc two... nothing happens. Try to run the setup.exe, windows prompts me and I select yes and nothing happens... Can't get it to run.

So then I uninstalled the game and tried a solution. I inserted the disc one and opened the disc, selected the setup.exe and ran as administrator. Installed fine, finished. Inserted disc two and nothing... same problem as before. Disc two and the DLCs will not install at all.

I don't think this is a problem with my disc drive. I ran and installed NV recently and that worked fine, burned some dvds... can't explain it.

It's not your disc drives, but I don't think it's specific to Windows 7 either. When I tried to install the GOTY on XP I had exactly the same issue; disc one installed fine but I had to try several times before disc two would install. I think there might be some kind of bug in the autorun file for that disc.

Have you switched off the UAC? Even though I'm my own administrator I had to change a lot of my Windows 7 security and permissions settings in order to get the overprotective OS to let me do what I want. I've heard many people complaining about having the same problems with this OS.

I'm pretty new to Windows 7 so I'm not even sure what the UAC is. Wouldn't turning it off, if it's a safety feature, possibly open me up to harm?

Only if you're not the only person who uses the computer and the other people using the computer are ones who you don't trust or they don't know what they're doing.

UAC is User Account Control. It's just a series of securities and permissions settings that you can adjust to allow or deny users access to make changes to the computer, such as installing new programs. I've heard that many games are having issues with UAC.

There is a known securom bug on the second disk of the Fallout 3 GOTY. Beth and securom know about it and have ignored it. :rolleyes:

The work around is to install the second disk in safe mode. You may have to try several times to get it to work though.

start rant

IMHO: If either company cared about their customers, they would offer to replace the disk FREE with FREE shipping and some compensation( like a FREE DLC of our choice) for the aggravation we went through getting the game installed. But obviously they care more about money than doing the right thing.

end rant

I'm pretty new to Windows 7 so I'm not even sure what the UAC is. Wouldn't turning it off, if it's a safety feature, possibly open me up to harm?

Only if you're not the only person who uses the computer and the other people using the computer are ones who you don't trust or they don't know what they're doing.

UAC is User Account Control. It's just a series of securities and permissions settings that you can adjust to allow or deny users access to make changes to the computer, such as installing new programs. I've heard that many games are having issues with UAC.

Yeah I'm the only person who uses it. How do you disable it?

I thought though that the benifit was if malware installs it's self it has to ask before altering files on your pc, in which case you can say no.