Ad virus attempted again

lonewolfkai

A little more info - the bogus registry cleaner is called 'Disk Cleaner'. the screen that pops up looks like a legitimate cleaning prog. it shows it checking for various problems such as bad sectors, viruses :rolleyes: bad registry entries etc. then within seconds it shows a bogus report that says it found serious problems and you need to download the full version - for a fee. Then starts locking up your programs, with bogus problem reports.

The young lady who uses the computer (11 years old) actually remembered where she got it - it was from a facebook message supposedly from a known friend - that said something like 'Hey (her user name) you gotta see this its really cool.' Then gave a link to click on which proceeded to download the virus. When the computer started showing the pop up and locking her programs She knew enough to realize she had been tagged by a virus and shut the computer down to limit damage. :thumbsup:

But, typically those kind of virus grab your address book before they start causing problems - so it's likely all of her facebook friends will get the same garbage. :verymad:

These scum are relying on the natural trustfulness of children to spread their trash. When caught that should automatically add at least another 10 years to whatever sentence they get.

lol, like I said before, gimme the live bullet! I'll be glad to use it! :verymad:

I use several. The most effective for the bogus registry cleaner scanner was called SuperAntiSpyware. I used both that one and MalwareBytes manual scan, then after it was cleaned, I ran the Macafee that was already on the computer.

The other one the MalwareBytes worked, and when I scanned with the SuperAntiSpyware it found nothing beyond a few standard spyware apps. That one had Avira as its antivirus, and after using the other two, it found nothing either.

Then, after rebooting, I ran ccleaner to finish taking out the trash.on both of them.

I've been just using the Windows disk cleaner for that, but I've been hearing a lot of postive stuff about ccleaner, like its a bit more thorough than the Windows provided cleaner. I might have to start using that. :D

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I just had the same thing happen to me--this is a malicious program that has been around for a while--it first showed up earlier in the summer of 2010. It gives the appearance of being a Windows Microsoft program, won't let you cancel out of it (it just keeps popping back up) and tells you you've been infected by X amount of viruses, so you need to download it immediately to protect yourself. If you do download it, it actually installs a virus program, and really screws up your computer (I know someone whose teenage son did it and it was a real pain to fix the computer again).

I just had a instance of this!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/15568-1-1297934331.jpg

The bloody thing was scanning my Computer!!!

Blocking that site now.

I immediatley took a screenshot anc closed the page before it could scan it all.

Edited by DrakenGuard

@Drakenguard:

If it got that far you have probably already been tagged.

A quick check is to see if it will allow you to download an update from your real antivirus.

Open your antivirus program and look to see when the last update was. if it is over a few days it is probably being blocked. If you try to update and a generic looking message appears saying your antivitus is up to date (without the logo or name of your antivirus - OR with the name and logo of an antivirus you don't use such as AVG) you have definately been hit.

The computer I just cleaned with a similar virus (maybe the same with a different name) Had an up to date copy of Macafee. when I tried to update, I got a pop up with the AVG name and logo saying "Your Antivirus Program Is up to date." Running Macafee would crash the computer after a few minutes. I had to use a usb stick with a copy of SuperAntiSpyware and run the computer in safe mods. (no CD drive on this one)

If you have a working CD drive, it is best to use a rescue CD (see older comments in this thread)

I have had the best luck removing these recently with SuperAntiVirus or MalwareBytes (It varies from time to time what works best)

Im running MalwareBytes as I type this and will preform a AVG scan afterwards to see if any such luck.

I do not have a CD that went along with this computer as last It died to to a Drive error, I took it to a computer store I boaght the computer a while back and had it a new Drive, components and the like but no CD.

Mine is Windows 7 Home Premium. So in that case, I should go back to my Cpu store I had this refurbished and ask for a CD copy of home Premium?

Im not exactly that computer literate when it comes to Anti-Virus but I always check for Malware and the like with constant scans and virus checks.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/15568-1-1297952080.jpg

Just Updating AVG, is this the correct way? It seems all ok to me and Malwarebytes so far has not picked up any nasty little things yet.

You would know better than I would, I would guess.

Edit: My AVG says update installation was successful here is an image to say.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/15568-1-1297952291.jpg

Im sorry if I keep posting images of this but it has got me concerned and I wish just to be clear that I am doing the right thing as bben46 has stated ( I think I am doing it right anyway )

This right? Malwarebytes still has not picked anything upyet. I will scan with AVG afterwards aswell.

~Draken

Edited by DrakenGuard

Good indications that a pop up like this is bogus are; It cannot be cleared by clicking the 'x'. It cannot be cleared by clicking the 'close' ...

Actually, this is bad advice. Some of these monsters are set up to download and run on your system the instant to click onto their window anywhere, including the "x" and especially the "close" button! It is precisely as if you clicked on the "OK" button to download and install because you're not actually seeing a window created by the operating system to function like a normal window. It just looks like one.

The best indication that they're bogus is that they happen at all. Do not ... repeat, DO NOT!, touch that window with the mouse! Go to Task Manager or some similar program, and shut down the popup window from there. This may close your browser, but that's much better than being infected. You should have ActiveX disabled in your browser. If you're using Firefox install NoScript and, by default, block ALL scripts from every site, enabling only those sites on a case-by-case basis that you know are safe. This will prevent javascript-based injection, or at least greatly minimize it.

The bottom line is that no reputable anti-malware company does anything like this, so if you get such a popup while you're browsing the Internet you can bet that someone's trying to hijack your system. Know the software you have installed. If you get a warning that is, ostensibly, from software you don't have ... well, that pretty much speaks for itself, but people being people it's usually like "Duh, Ohhh Kaaay!" *click*. Sadly, it takes just a little bit of functional grey matter to recognize such dangers and, sadly, it appears that a lot of people don't have any.

Children are a different matter, and you simply have to talk to them about this danger and warn them that if they see anything suspicious to alert an adult and let the adult take care of the situation. As for the kid downloading tons of stuff from torrent sites, seriously! You let your child do this? I'm not saying it's wrong, because there are letit uses for BitTorrent and its various siblings, but most of those uses are totally illegitimate and you can bet that your child is pirating software (or worse, but we won't talk about that) from people who, at best, do not have his best interests at heart.

Oh, and what bben46 said about Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. These should be standard parts of any person's security arsenal. You absolutely cannot go wrong these two products and they're free.

I agree, and this image details my recent 2 Hours and 16 or so mins of scanning my CPU.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/15568-1-1297959375.jpg

Thats good right?

It scaned the WHOLE darn computer.

AVG is still scanning.

Edit: AVG came up with no results. So since bothmalware and AVG found nothing, should I do something else or is all fine for now?

Edited by DrakenGuard

DrakenGuard, you're probably OK, but understand that no anti-malware program catches everything and many of them will not register a new virus or trojan if it doesn't trigger their heuristics. If you're just using free software to do this, I'd recommend getting Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to play well with both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware (don't know about AVG), and it's actually not a bad package. For once, Microsoft did something right in the area of computer security, but it's not going to catch everything, either. The advantage over other free software is that you can get virtually instant updates the moment MS adds something to their virus definition list, rather than having to wait for a bulk update. This dramatically reduces the chance that your computer will be infected with something that was just released into the wild.