Ad virus attempted again

lonewolfkai

This is true, at least for the commercial ones, evilneko. It may not necessarily be true for any given free program. I mentioned this with regard to Microsoft Security Essentials because their instant update feature applies to ALL changes in the definition lists and not just the "important" ones. What is important to one person may be unimportant to another. I guarantee, that if you've had your system infected even by a simple, annoying-but-not-fatal virus then it's "important" to you, even if the manufacturers choose to wait a week to release its definition in their standard update bundle.

I don't think any of the vendors do weekly updates anymore, even for free products. They've all gone daily. (some, like Kaspersky, have always been daily, or even hourly in Kaspersky's case) Most use the same update infrastructure for both versions of their product so both get the same defs at the same time.

You should only have one antivirus program actually running all of the time. The others should be set for a scan on demand - so when you think you may have picked something up you can run the other antiviruses. If you have more than one set to be running all the time, they may fight each other and slow your computer down.

If you are computer savvy enough, you can set most antivirus scanners to ignore certain programs you are sure don't have viruses. This can speed up the scan quite a bit.

A simple thing to add, malwarebytes while good does miss things. One programs I'd suggest for 'omg wtf' type of scanning are SUPERAntiSpyware(and yes it's worth the money to buy). The other thing of importance, scans should always be done in safe mode where there is by default limited system access to RING's 1/2 by other software. Meaning, if you have malware you think you haven't and can't find(because it hides itself), it might, maybe, possibely be detectable in safemode.

That doesn't stop rootkits sadly, and that's just another ball of wax.

My simple prevention measure that I use to help prevent infections is to run a copy of Lubuntu in a virtual machine then do my web browsing and email through that. I've never been infected through any Nexus site though.

Now THAT was spooky <cue Twilight Zone music>.

As I clicked for the second page, I got a site error. To test the connection, I typed another web address - got a typo, and IT didn't load. Thought I was infected for a moment!

All OK now

Regarding MS Security Essentials - it MAY slow down your Oblivion (and other games) since by default it scans all processes and all files you open. There's a work-around, but it DOES reduce the security in narrowly defined ways. I have a PDF I picked up with a walkthrough if someone wants a copy to vet it before I post it.

Now THAT was spooky <cue Twilight Zone music>.

As I clicked for the second page, I got a site error. To test the connection, I typed another web address - got a typo, and IT didn't load. Thought I was infected for a moment!

All OK now

Regarding MS Security Essentials - it MAY slow down your Oblivion (and other games) since by default it scans all processes and all files you open. There's a work-around, but it DOES reduce the security in narrowly defined ways. I have a PDF I picked up with a walkthrough if someone wants a copy to vet it before I post it.

I'll take a looksee of it.

I was on Know Your Meme and I got one, and I closed it IMMEDIATELY! But it opened up, and then I closed it. It stay like that. I got on my Virus scanner and it found some incomplete components of the Virus. Just for safe measures, I deleted them.

By the way, Norton isn't a good Virus Scanner.