We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

V.A.T.S. Targeting Percentiles

srmacpherson

Is anyone else finding it odd that trying to hit a torso, the largest part on any FNV enemy is harder to hit sometimes than the smallest?

Why is it easier for me to hit an arm than the torso? Or flapping wings instead of a body? Or the spindly legs of an ant instead of that fat juicy bulbous body?

I'm a qualified marksman, a three-inch grouping at 300m isn't hard, but you know what? Its a LOT harder than a 12 inch grouping! Hitting an arm shouldn't be easier than hitting the body!

Am I the only one finding this?

Because sometimes the arm is facing you, is closer or isn't moving while the torso is. If someone is standing sideways you've more chance to hit their arm than their chest.

that might account for a few % when targeting in vats but if he means what i think he means then i get it every now and then to...

you go into vats and while checking hit %'s you notice the arm/leg at say 85% and the torso at 50%....the distance from the torso to the arm shouldnt be that great...

from time to time i get real drastic %'s between body parts in vats that make no sense what so ever :confused:

Daynox

I really wish the game could use hit boxing with body armor and make the torso easier to hit but have the DT/DR function greater there, and thus weapons being more effective but harder to hit on limps.

That would be neat. That would make Power armor more useful, since it covers the entire body.

I gave this some more thought.

I think it's actually the RPG element of the game, since hitting the torso does more damage it's supposed to be harder, and the limbs easier since they do less damage. :confused: Unfortunate loss of detail for the sake of balancing difficulty.

I gave this some more thought.

I think it's actually the RPG element of the game, since hitting the torso does more damage it's supposed to be harder, and the limbs easier since they do less damage. :confused: Unfortunate loss of detail for the sake of balancing difficulty.

]

Thats ass.

The torso is easier to hit. What they should have done was create sectional Damage Resistance. For example, if you wear a frag vest, it protects your vitals only. Front, back, shoulders, neck.

So your torso, which has a chance to hit of 85% is protected by DT14. Your arms, which have a 35% chance to hit are protected by DT1.

The torso, while easier to hit, has a higher DT, so even if you hit it, nothing may happen. The arm, harder to hit, has nothing protecting it.

Shooting the arm, however may not produce the same OVERALL damage. I notice in Fallout you can cripple a limb and it might still only amount to maybe 15% overall health of your target. On the flipside, once the arm is crippled, you need not worry about your target shooting back anymore.

Anyways. It's a stupid concept in my opinion but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed, or has issues with it.

If I can wrap my head around the concept of the harder chance to hit amounting to more vital damage, maybe I'll start aiming for centre of mass.

Is anyone else finding it odd that trying to hit a torso, the largest part on any FNV enemy is harder to hit sometimes than the smallest?

Why is it easier for me to hit an arm than the torso? Or flapping wings instead of a body? Or the spindly legs of an ant instead of that fat juicy bulbous body?

I'm a qualified marksman, a three-inch grouping at 300m isn't hard, but you know what? Its a LOT harder than a 12 inch grouping! Hitting an arm shouldn't be easier than hitting the body!

Am I the only one finding this?

maybe the devs want you to try crippling opponents rather than just downing them with a bunch of easy gut shots; i think it's more fun/exciting to be chased by a slowed deathclaw rather than than to just have to hit the head or body all the time in stealth.