NPC react to custom cat like race, as if it was a Khajiit?

eypherath

I play a Wood Elf a lot, and "Greetings, Bosmer" is quite common. I'm sure it's used for branching in conversations sometimes - I know it was in Morrowind.

And there's one place EVERYONE has heard their race used - Valen Dreth's little speech in the starting cell.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Perhaps it's more prevelent in some races. If I play a vanilla race, it's usually Breton, as I like to play spellsword type characters. Having said that, I have been playing a custom race for quite some time, so maybe I have got used to not being addressed by racial references.

Very likely, since the game doesn't recognize custom race names unless you'd go through the trouble to mod it to do so ... and that issue has, I think, already been put to rest. I can't imagine anyone taking the time and effort to modify all the dialog to take a player's race into consideration, although it would certainly be possible.

That said, though, it would be interesting if anyone knew to what extent racial comments (especially racial slurs like that offensive "fur-licker") are built into the system. I'd expect, based upon encountering that, to hear something derogatory about Bosmer characters and cannibalism, but I never have. It's obvious that the comments are part of the general "hello" conversation, though, since I've heard "fur-licker" from guards, too. You'd think they would have greater respect for their positions than to make racial slurs. A modern day cop would be in big trouble for saying something like that. Indeed, I wish there were a way to report such behavior from guards to their superiors, but, alas, Oblivion just isn't based upon detailed role-playing and guards are generic NPCs, so it wouldn't matter in the long run.

Anyway, I'm straying a bit off-topic. To get back on, I can only suggest that eypherath do two things. One, forget actual dialog-based racial comments. No vanilla race has that, and the reason is probably that the developers figured it would be too time-consuming to build something like that into all the custom dialog that went into the quests. Secondly, break out the CS and start looking at the general comments that NPCs make "in passing". It may well be possible to figure out how Bethesda managed to include things like "Greetings, Bosmer" into that. Getting the game to actually recognize a custom race by name for that purpose, though, is well beyond my ken and may not even be possible through scripting.

MarkInMKUK, Bethesda went through a lot of trouble to make Valen Dreth as unlikable as they could. Cheers for the Dark Brotherhood questline! Even this, though, isn't related to the dialog part of the game, since you can't actually interact with him and engage him in conversation at that juncture of the game. What eypherath was wanting, really, was to have interactive dialog to be "race-aware". I'd love to see that in-game, especially considering the fact that some races have (or at least are supposed to have) disposition modifiers relative to other races.

We never see (or, rather, hear) anything related to that in conversations with NPCs, though. We all know, for instance, that the Countess of Leyawiin, Alessia Caro, is a full-fledged bigot and has an agenda against Argonians, Khajiit, and Dunmer, in spite of the paradoxical fact that her court mage is a Khajiit and she frequently entertains two Argonians as guests. The Argonians were, apparently, originally slated to be Bretons, so it's, perhaps, understandable, given Bethesda's traditionally lazy way of dealing with irregularities in the game (i.e., not dealing with them at all), that this mistake persists, but there's no explanation of why she would tolerate a Khajiit on her staff. Surprisingly, too, she has no problem dealing with an Argonian, Khajiit, or Dunmer player character, either, although in interacting with her using my Khajiit character I got the distinct impression that her disposition was lower toward her than when I interacted with her using my Bosmer character. I would have definitely expected some sort of comment regarding the race of my Khajiit, but it never happened.

Ferryt,

Maybe I should add Alessia to my list of "back story" mods I want to see ... actually adjust her to react differently - politically polite but muttering to her husband about "That damn furball - makes my nose itch" as soon as the conversation ends, things like that

I'd actually install such a mod, just for the additional immersion it adds, even though the game gives us only limited ability to actually interact with Alessia. Hearing a comment like that (don't underestimate the acuity of Khajiit hearing) would give me an excuse to off her the next time I find her wandering the roads to or from Chorrol. County Leyawiin would be better off without the likes of Alessia, anyway, assuming that her hen-pecked husband, Marius Caro, is even capable of running the county without her guidance. That would have to be after the Ahdarji's Heirloom quest (because she's essential before that) and before the Sanguine quest (because she's needed for that), but I'd take great pleasure in ridding Cyrodiil of her. Why doesn't the Dark Brotherhood have "Independent Murdering" to parallel the Thieves Guild "Independent Thievery", anyway?

I actually made something like this for my own personal use.

It's just a master file that contains a bunch of token items, e.g. "IsKhajiit", "IsBreton", etc.

You add the token to your character, then NPCs will treat you as if you are that race, though I only have it partially set up for khajiit at the moment. If there is enough interest I could go through and finish up the stuff for the rest of the races, I guess?

This is only for the purposes of dialogue, though. It does nothing to the race disposition modifiers.

The comments like "fur-licker" are pretty simple, conditions wise:

1. They don't like you (Low disposition, I think <30?)

2. Your race is X

3. Their race is not X

Edited by whalecakes

There's stuff like that for dialog? Are you sure you're not referring to monologue (i.e., just the comments in passing which have nothing to do with player-NPC interaction)? I've never heard a racial comment of any kind (at least directed to me) when conversing with an NPC. I'm pretty sure that's what eypherath was referring to, and it's what I'd like to see in the game. I'd love for the Countess of Leyawiin to make a comment to me like, "You know, you're not too bad ... for a Khajiit" when I return her stolen ring, or to have a different set of dialog options during the Borderwatch quest in which the residents will confide in you more if you're playing a Khajiit, rather than some other race, and even make mention of you being "one of them".

Apparently Orcs get a changed dialogue in one of the Daedric quests - they just didn't make much use of it elsewhere. Now I *~HAVE* to learn Oblivion scripting :biggrin:

I forgot about that one! Yes, the Malacath quest. Malacath is the patron of orcs. When you get there you'll get completely different reactions from his followers (who are all orcs) depending upon whether you're an orc or not, and Malacath, himself, has different lines if you're an orc.

• 9 months later...

If you're using OBSE, you can make NPCs treat your cuatom race as any vanilla race with OBSE function 'SetRaceAlias'.

SetRaceAlias (your race) (any vanilla race)

IIRC, XEO uses 'SetRaceAlias' to make duplicates races to be recognized as original stock races.

I'm sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I don't know much about modding oblivion, but I'd like a custom race be adressed as an already existing one.

How do I add a script like this into the game?

EDIT: Got it: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1519-a-question-about-custom-races/ Sorry again :D

Edited by Vangar