shivering isles installation error

entity7

Hi

I just purchased the Shivering Isles expansion and whenever I try to install it I get the following error message...

"The instruction at "0x10001877" referenced memory at "0x2db104f0". The memory could not be "read".

I can install and run all other programs without problem, it seems to be just this expansion CD. To try and troubleshoot this I have tried...

Install from different drive.

Reinstall Oblivion from scratch with and without patches and mods.

Ran Diagnostics on computer and memory.

Tried installing from safe mode and with as many auto load applications that could be stopped. When I tried this the install program gave a message that it couldnt find the Oblivion install directory.

Finally tried installing WITHOUT Oblivion installed just to see if anything changed. Even without Oblivion installed I get the same error so it appears the problem is with my computer running the install process. When the error appears its before anything else is displayed, The cd runs for a bit then the error message appears. The computer dosent crash as I can close the message box and everything else seems normal. Ive tried online searches for the error message and found nothing that seems to work. I also tried running the install on another computer (it dosent have oblivion installed) and the install did proceed farther and gave the expected message that it could find Oblivion installed.

Any help is appreciated.

It looks like a memory error - if you have two mis-matched RAM sticks in the PC it MAY be trying to run one of them at a faster than design speed. Also, have you overclocked the PC? That can sometimes cause memory glitches. Hunt down and try a memory stress test utility to see whether you have a glitchy RAM chip.

I had a similar problem - at one point I had a PC-5300 stick and a PC-6400 stick and the motherboard was trying to run at the faster speed. Normally I was fine, but sometimes up popped the error.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Try this: go to Control Panel \ System \ Advanced System Settings \ Advanced tab \ Performance ... Settings \ Advanced tab \ Virtual Memory ... Change \ "Automatically manage paging file for ALL drives". >>>>>>>>REBOOT<<<<<<<<

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't mention in my first post that I had already troubleshot both physical and virtual memory possibilities. The system memory is configured with 3 500 MB which is not overclocked (the entire system is set to conservative settings) and water-cooled so heat or clocking instability shouldn't be a problem. I first swapped memory sticks around looking for any change in symptoms then swapped it out with some memory from another machine with no change in the error. I then made changes to the virtual memory page settings changing from my fixed setting of 4 GB running on its own partition at the end of the drives physical space to reduce fragmentation. I tried increasing to 8GB then finally changing to system managed for all partitions and again there was no change in symptoms. Finally there is plenty of available space for each partition with at least 50 GB free for each

To try and reduce the possibility of conflicting apps or mods I disabled all I could reasonably identity and as mentioned even uninstalled/reinstalled Oblivion. Since the error remained the same without Oblivion even being installed it seems the problem is with the initialization of the installer before it even checks the games install status. I haven't had problems with other applications or installations so it seems to be something specific with the expansion installer/process.

FYI its my second system as my first is presently down while I search for a replacement main board, & graphics card . its old but well within the minimum specs for the game and expansion.

Athlon 64 3000+ running 2Ghz

1.5 GM DDR 300

ATI Radion 850

Win XP pro SP 3

Again thanks for the quick replies.