ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Poseidon Oil Rig

IVlatty

I'm in the process of making a fairly large oil rig that I hope will support a long and intense battle against the Enclave. The design support structure has been nailed down, and will be roughly 6 stories high. Above that I'm willing to push as far as I can before it's too big to handle. I wish to keep the entire structure in the same world space, so it's possible to fall off from a great height and survive. However I may make the final area interior. I'm hoping to link this to a modest submarine safe house I have made, with the prospect of making more at-sea locations reachable via the submarine. I've been considering trying to make it seem like a VR mission but any scripting is very above my skills. I have a purely architectural mind.

I'd love to hear any thoughts and ideas. I'm hoping to pour as much of what I love from Fallout into this for the sake of replay ability.

new pics http://imgur.com/a/LJJhz#0

I have run into a few minor issues I hope somebody could help with;

-rotating objects with mouse causing coordinates to go -117 degrees, 75 degrees rather than 90 degrees, 90 degrees
- is it possible to enable object snapping? I'm trying to have a diagonal cross section but currently it requires coords be like 125.04585 to line objects up
-has anybody ever encountered a high res retexturing of a submarine (point lookout or otherwise) that would allow it to be scaled up much bigger to resemble a ballistic class submarine?

Edited by IVlatty

This sounds like a pretty wicked mod if it goes through alright.

Rotating objects, you can use Snap To Angle in GECK and set the turn degrees, I believe. Unless you're already doing that, in which case, all I can recommend is fooling around with the preferences.

Object snapping, I don't think I've heard of, but all the objects should line up properly with Snap To Grid, which is how the whole world of the Mojave was put together :V. Beyond that, just make minor adjustments here and there, using Snap To Grid to get most of the work done.

High res textured submarine? Don't think I've ever seen that, but if you're good at model ripping, Call Of Duty: Black Ops has a pretty good looking sub. Besides that, dunno. You could post a question in Mod Detectives at the top of the Mod Talk forum, though, try there.

Thanks for the in depth response. Yes i have been using snap 45 and 90, however when rotating single objects, i'm often getting objects at 0.0001 degrees, or even having objects that should be 90, 90, 90 turning into random degree figures like 103.546, 68.343, 101.443 etc. It's a bit annoying and has required me to manually input angle coordinates for each object. I've noticed this issue doesn't arise when i rotate multiple objects at a time, so i've been sticking to that. In regards to object snapping, i must be mistaken but i thought i saw a button that would enable similar objects to snap. I thought it may be a way to have diagonal objects line up easily without requiring coordinates such as 33.3344 etc. And for the submarine, i have used the model and textures from Point Lookout as well as a similar resource available on NVN. I may look into retexturing myself, but i would assume it would require also editing the mesh to increase it's scale, so that i can apply a larger texture file. The result being a larger sub but having the same detail resolution for the texture.

A little update on progress;

http://i.imgur.com/4YEsvFp.png

http://i.imgur.com/PxYL28d.png

http://i.imgur.com/JjdVWz5.png

My initial design, just to test how the 3 different object types i was using would work together. I had issue with the diagonal supports which must use awkawrd coords (32.3453 etc.) so i have reverted back to x,y,z directions. I have also decided to remove bulk objects from the lower floors to better reflect an oil rig and the potential for violent waves. The general size has also increased, i'm hoping that after probably 10 floors total that it will not be an issue. I can seperate the supports section from the main section if need be, but that would mean having collision barriers for the main section so you cannot fall off, which i would prefer not to do.

I think maintaining 1 line of symmetry will prevent it becoming overly confusing to the player, but at the same time provide a lot of options for the player in overcoming this challenge.

http://i.imgur.com/NOZiQaB.png

Now these dimensions are in place i should be able to speed through the supports section. Any ideas regarding the main section would be appreciated. Vertibirds, Hoover Dam generators, oil tanks and piping have been my main ideas thus far. I'm hoping to avoid the brickwork of large industrial buildings and also concrete if i can, however i a not aware of any large metal flooring or structures.

If you need any reference of what was used on the "Poseidon Oil Rig" mod by jcdenton2012, it is right here as a resource: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42807/?

You look like you have a different understructure already going, and looks great so far, I only shared this as it had the same name and was contained all in one world cell as well.

IVLatty, This may help with your snap issue.

If you hit Shift "Q" you will see the cursor change and then you can select an object to be the main Snap point.

I have noticed that sometimes the Snap to grid gets messed up when reloading a plugin Not sure why but I use Shift "Q" a lot to especially if I want to snap to things that I have set off the main grid.

Hope this helps.

great thanks for that tip.

I've flown ahead and completed roughly 7 floors and beginning to expand the floors outwards to produce an overhang. I only expect to have about 10 floors. I'm more scared now of reaching some kind of limit that prevents it all from being loaded at once in the exterior, as I noticed this with the war zones mod.

Yes that other mod provided some inspiration and I looked at it closely for ideas. I've tried to stick to some more formal rules that have produced a larger, although more repetitive structure. That said it should be processor efficient and be exciting to play.

Hoping to upload some more conclusive pics soon, will be back from a holiday in 2-3 days.

great thanks for that tip.

I've flown ahead and completed roughly 7 floors and beginning to expand the floors outwards to produce an overhang. I only expect to have about 10 floors. I'm more scared now of reaching some kind of limit that prevents it all from being loaded at once in the exterior, as I noticed this with the war zones mod.

Yes that other mod provided some inspiration and I looked at it closely for ideas. I've tried to stick to some more formal rules that have produced a larger, although more repetitive structure. That said it should be processor efficient and be exciting to play.

Hoping to upload some more conclusive pics soon, will be back from a holiday in 2-3 days.

Thus far, very nicely done, mate. Throw in some Enclave clutter and you could have yourself a veritable base of operations hearkening back to the Fallout 2 days. Excited to see this become a mod that's available to the public!

It definitely will be, i'm kind of racin to get it into a testing phase anyway, in which case i will probably release it publicly quite soon, just got a night of navmeshing and making some new NPC's to fight. I'm up to about 8th floor, and i only plan to have 10. I'm hoping to have more vertibirds sitting above the ones already placed. Already began looking through some clutter objects, i'm hoping to find more BoS prefab barricades archived in NV than just the 03 one available. Heading home tonight, planning on continuing a little on the plane. So imagine stepping outside of your submarine base and having to infiltrate this thing. I'm hoping it would accommodate both evasive and aggressive.

Latest pic, stuck some dudes in there for scale;

http://i.imgur.com/X8v8juN.png

finally some im game pics;

http://imgur.com/a/LJJhz#0

structurally i am finished and will only make additions once much testing is done, i'm now deciding on lighting options and trying different weather. Seriously considering making my own as it appears all of the climates only have 1 weather type and i'm sure it would be more interesting with variation.

There are 3 issues that i foresee that i would love some help with;

- Most of the weathers go pitch black during midday, and seem to lack a dds. file (says alpha.dds)

- I'm trying but can't seem to get the LOD working for the water

- i want to link the door into this cell with a menu that appears to accommodate more options. I want the doorway to be a submarine hatch, so the menu allows you to just exit the hatch into new vegas or have the hatch exit you into this worldspace. The reason for this is so i can easily add new locations with a logical travel method.

Any help with this script for a menu would be greatly appreciated as i'm very new to this area.

Edited by IVlatty