Better Cities Mod Problem

aaroncox

alright so i reinstalled oblivion, placed it in c:\games\oblivion. it worked fine. then i installed the unofficial oblivion patch and the game started to crash. so i uninstalled the patch and the game worked fine. so then i installed the better cities mod and when i walked to the imperial city, it was all in skeleton form, with no walls. i literally walked right through the imperial city and everything looks weird and glitchy. then i walked under the city or what not and it didn't crash but the graphics looked haywire. so i decided to warp to a new city. and right when i warped the game crashed.

obviously it's the better cities mod (whether or not i need a compatibility patch I'm not sure, or if the actual mod files are corrupted), but the only mods i installed were the 3 parts to better cities. as of right now i deactivated the mod and the game is running fine again. so i know it's not anything wrong in my oblivion files any suggestions? thanks

Aaron

p.s I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.

The UOP does not make the game crash. Better Cities does not behave like that if you have installed it correctly.

I am going to take a stab in the dark here: did you copy ALL of the Better Cities files to your Data directory?

well the unofficial oblivion patch was installed as soon as i reinstalled my oblivion game, and the game started freezing..and crashing then i uninstalled the UOP and it worked like a charm. so if that patch wasn't causing my game to crash., I have no idea what did.

second. it is possible to have all the files uploaded in the right order and have your graphics look weird. i went to the better cities mod download page and clicked on discussions and it said something similar to my problem without saying that the game crashed. (one guy had double doors that wasn't suppose to be there (an obvious graphic error) and his solution was to go somewhere far away, save it in a fresh game file slot. and then restart and the problem should be fixed. i'm thinking maybe i should try that and it might fix all my problems.. (if i did incomplete downloads then apparently the files given on nexus download page for better cities mods are incomplete) because all i did was download those three files, upload them to obmm and created mods. so...what's the deal?

The unofficial Oblivion patch is used successfully by hundreds of thousands of users -- 805,095 downloads from the Nexus alone. Don't you think if the patch was faulty that the downloads would be considerably lower? The UOP requires that your game is patched to 12416.

By your second response to my question ("it is possible to have all the files uploaded in the right order and have your graphics look weird"), I can only assume (since you didn't answer my question directly) that you, in fact, DID copy all of the Better Cities files to your data folder. If this is the case, it's no wonder you are having these problems. Better Cities is a modular mod, and each and every plugin cannot be installed at the same time -- you have to make choices.

The double doors issue is a good example on an incorrect installation. That particular 'glitch' can happen if you install wrong modules, or change your installation without clean saving first.

The files on the Nexus are not incomplete -- again, they are used by hoardes of people without issue. Every symptom that you have described points to an incorrect installation.

Try using OBMM to install those. Both the UOP and Better Cities can be made into OMODs installed with it, and it is very highly recommended that you do so because it's so much easier, and it automatically puts every file exactly where it has to go, so it's pretty much impossible to install a mod incorrectly this way. Manually installing large mods with a lot of files like UOP and BC is really messy and very easy to screw up so you should always install them with OBMM.

You also need to use BOSS to put all of the ESP's in the correct loading order. If you did use OBMM to install the mods, then the problem could be your load order. If the files aren't in order it will cause all sorts of problems (which can range from the game crashing to desktop when you try to start it, to frustrating crashes in game, to a plethora of assorted wonkyness and glitches)

Edited by Lehcar

well if the only mod i'm using is better cities mod (do i still need to run boss)? and i loaded it straight to obmm after download so i dont know how i mis installed something? and i don't know why my uop isn't working.

well if the only mod i'm using is better cities mod (do i still need to run boss)? and i loaded it straight to obmm after download so i dont know how i mis installed something?

Since you are not being very clear, I can only assume that you installed inappropriate options for your setup. If you want more help, you must be absolutely specific about what steps you have taken -- "i loaded it straight to obmm" doesn't cut it.

and i don't know why my uop isn't working.

I refer you to my reply above.

The UOP requires that your game is patched to 12416. ( i dont understand what that means? can you be more specific?)

when i installed it on obmm, i don't add the replacer plug in's because i don't have any of them installed ( so i click none). i choose yes to fps patches. i choose yes to view better cities from long distances. i choose no taking away the flood from leyawin. i choose yes to merge plug ins of better cities. and then it tells me to make sure a and b are uploaded, which they are. and the upload order of which i activate these mods are first better cities 4.90 / second better cities resources 4.8.1/ and then third better cities permanent resources 4.9.0.

is there any other information that you need that i didn't exactly clarify?

thanks

The UOP requires that your game is patched to 12416. ( i dont understand what that means? can you be more specific?)

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch has a requirement. That requirement is the official 12416 patch.