OBSE v20, http://obse.silverlock.org/

VGI

131 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get OBSE v0020, even if its beta?

No. I make it point to never install a beta unless I'm specifically helping to test it. Well, OK, I use Windows and play both Oblivion and Borderlands, and I think I can make an argument that they're all really betas, but we won't go there.

While I realize that version 19 is a subset of version 20, there can be no absolute guarantee that problems might have been introduced in the beta that affect the operation of purely version 19 or lower scripts. Since I'm not part of a beta-testing team for OBSE I'm not taking a chance on breaking mods that require lower versions of OBSE just to get the added benefits of version 20. Nor, as a developer of a mod, would I release a mod that required a beta version of OBSE and not refer to my mod, itself, as a beta.

It's just my personal opinion on this issue, but I consider it to be verging upon irresponsible on the part of the author of any mod who puts a version number of 1.0 or higher on any mod that requires any resource which is, itself, still in beta. A change to OBSE before a final release could easily break either of the two mods to which you linked. In my opinion, that means both of those mods are still in beta. It also means I'm not going to consider them (and I'm actually interested in the Camping mod) until such time as OBSE 20 has been released in a stable version.

The reason some mods require the latest version, even if it is a beta, is because they are using functions that were added in that version. I have requested some new functions and they were added in v19. Had I released my mod at that point, I would have needed that version, whether it's a beta or not. There are things that wouldn't be possible without these new functions.

There are no beta testers for OBSE. Basically the OBSE team takes requests for new functionality and adds them in. Most of these requests are exposing functionality that exists already in the game, but Bethesda didn't provide the functions in the CS to use it. OBSE adds those functions. It is up to mod developers to adopt the new versions of OBSE as they are released - that's how the new versions are tested. We run our existing mods against the new releases to make sure they still work. We will also add new functionality to our mods based on what is available in OBSE. This tests the new functions.

The system isn't perfect. It would be nice if OBSE had a beta testing team. I guess there are a number of modders that try to fill that role and I include myself in those numbers.

So what I'm trying to say is that the more people we can get who are willing to run with the latest version, the better. If people don't run with the new version, then it will be simply declared a full release. Yes there is a risk with that, but the OBSE team is very attentive and any complaints of problems are looked at quickly.

We don't have the luxury of a full development and testing team. Some companies don't have that! And you certainly aren't going to get it in a volunteer modding community where people have to do this work as time permits.

If it's absolutely necessary, then sure. I run OBSEv19. It's stable and seems to run just about everything I need to.

I'm not sure of any changelogs between 19 and 20, but I'm presuming not much change. But heck, if 20 runs better, then that would be the one to choose. I'm in no hurry, though. 19 gets the job done.

Version 20 actually adds some new and important functionality into OBSE. I'm still not going to use it, or any mod that relies upon it, until it's out of beta and has a history of running solidly and predictably. I have to stand firm on this issue. There's a reason it's called "beta". That means its not ready for "public consumption" because there could still be bugs and other unexpected behavior.

For those people willing to potentially break their game by utilizing beta versions of OBSE and mods that may use functions that could be altered by the time of final release, feel free to do so. You people are the "beta testing team", you're taking the chances, and for that I salute you. Me? I've had enough of beta testing, already, with other software. I want to play a reasonably stable version of Oblivion that isn't going to bork my save game because some utility I'm running alongside it gets changed before its final release. Is this probable? No, I don't think so. Is it possible? Absolutely.

I was just trying to point out that it's only a label. As long as there are people actively using and testing it, Scruggsy will keep the beta label. But if that fizzles and there are no active reports, Scruggsy will say "we're done" and it will be released as a final. That's what happened to 19. And it got released with a game breaking bug. The bug got fixed in 19b. And I'm not referring to the GetGameLoaded issue. That wasn't really a bug - it was more of a misunderstanding of the way the function worked. So saying that you won't run it because it has a beta label on it doesn't make much difference. You may wind up running the exact same thing with the beta label removed.

Version 20 actually adds some new and important functionality into OBSE. I'm still not going to use it, or any mod that relies upon it, until it's out of beta and has a history of running solidly and predictably. I have to stand firm on this issue. There's a reason it's called "beta". That means its not ready for "public consumption" because there could still be bugs and other unexpected behavior.

For those people willing to potentially break their game by utilizing beta versions of OBSE and mods that may use functions that could be altered by the time of final release, feel free to do so. You people are the "beta testing team", you're taking the chances, and for that I salute you. Me? I've had enough of beta testing, already, with other software. I want to play a reasonably stable version of Oblivion that isn't going to bork my save game because some utility I'm running alongside it gets changed before its final release. Is this probable? No, I don't think so. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Same here.

I feel like I really worked my mind to a certain breaking point, and it was actually a character-building experience, to get Tes4 to work with all the mods that I am using, and to risk that with a beta of OBSE?

Hmmm...still, it could just be a label, but it means something. I just hope it becomes a stable, non-beta version asap.