Windows in buildings and outside sounds

sworder01

Alternatively the devs could make each interior cell part of the exterior game world, thus no transitions or loading times. However, this would result in much greater strain on your computer while inside and outside without any more benefit other than being able to see outside windows and having no load times. It's much better to have load times and greater performance. It would also most likely lead to reduced interior detail...

A linear game, where the player goes down one set path could do this easily. A game like Skyrim can't since it's an open world.

Red Dead Redemption is a large open game that managed this quite well, so it is possible. But, as you say, it is not without cost. More objects to handle in one space means less details and more works for the developers.

RDR is big, but not as big as Skyrim.

RDR also has VERY little detail inside the buildings, and buildings are generally smaller in size.

Another thing about RDR is that it got no items that you can pick up inside houses, and as many knows, things you can pick up demands more than static objects. :/

RDR is big, but not as big as Skyrim.

True but I don't think that plays in so much on the scales we are talking about. Once you reach a certain scale, the actual size doesn't really matter much any more. You never load the whole world at once anyway (depending on the way you handle LoD, of course). Then it becomes more of a question of how much space you have for storage, not computing.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Read Dead Redemption differs a lot from what we know of Skyrim so far.

What do you mean the actual size doesn't matter any more? It still takes some guy sitting at a desk double or tripple the time to make all that stuff.

Then of course people would complain, well why can't I see anyone outside the windows, then they gotta ad actors and... yeah, it's just silly and better left as is.

One way to do it would be spawning the interior cell inside the exterior cell once the player manipulates the door, causing a load screen. So basically, it'd work just like oblivion, except the interior cell would exist in the towns worldspace, rather than taking you to a whole new one.

But to be honest, that's just too much work for one feature.

Edited by Ultimatepurge

Surely it would work having interiors as exteriors. The reason they dont do it, is simply manpower and money,

i bet, among scaling aswell. If you look at how these games are done, it is very quick. I think for oblivion they had like just this one guy for caves or was it two? I am not entirely sure anymore.

:P

Edited by Nadimos

OR they could just make everything load in a box manner, i.e.: one space loads in front as other areas are deconstructed out of sight. They could make the building actually be open, and the window truly transparent. That is not as hard as you're making it out to be. You know what is stopping this? Consoles - they cannot handle the power, but 4GB of RAM, a good graphics card (with efficient programming), and a quad core and you can do this without much issue. Two Worlds 1 did this without a lot of problems on the PC. You all must believe that if it's not here already then it can't happen. Why do people honestly think that? Also, you DO realize that it's their job to make games right. If they didn't push the bar higher, then we'll never get anywhere in gaming. Judging by the vast majority of games, that is turning out to be the case. These companies do have budgets, but this feature is not THAT time consuming. It's more time consuming actually making each house load, you have to add that much more code, and again, the entire world is not loaded at once. Edited by BladeValant546