Oblivion is all of a sudden lagging..

lahdeedah2

Okay, so I go on Oblivion like I normally do, nothing I've done different. Then it does something so the graphics fit my computer or something (like it does when you go to play it for the first time). I'm like um okay. So I start it up and it's in 640x480 or whatever and it's not full screen. Annoying black bars on the sides. I made the resolution higher and stuff, changed the graphics setting and it worked, except for one thing. It lags. No matter what I play it on. Idk why and Idk what to do..

I recently (last night in fact) had Oblivion do this to me, as well -- no idea what I did to make it happen, and it was extremely annoying to have all my graphics settings reset to the worst case possible. It's probably fixable for you, although I wasn't getting the black bar, so our situations aren't identical (and I didn't get the lag, either).

Start with the Oblivion Tweak Guide. What austinrocks mentions might help, but I seriously doubt that something which occurs this rapidly and sporadically is a fragmentation problem. The Tweak Guide has a lot of suggestions in it. Follow them and stay conservative before you start pushing the envelope and you'll probably get a decent frame rate.

Another suggestion is to get "Process Explorer". It's hosted and supported by Microsoft, although it was originally developed by someone else, so it's safe to download and use, and it's free. Just Google it and make sure you download it off Microsoft's site. You can use this utility to see whether or not there is something unusual going on behind the scenes with regard to things like disk access and CPU usage by every process running on your computer. You might be seeing the effects of a resource hog you aren't aware of. Oblivion doesn't play nicely with other applications that gobble up lots of CPU cycles.