Vanilla Oblivion Crash Before Menu

So, after several months of being away from the game and the community, I decided to reinstall Oblivion and try it again.

I guess Oblivion didn't like this plan so much. Even with no mods enabled, after the initial logos, the game CTD's before I can choose New Game or anything. What do?

Also, (because I didn't wanna start two threads) I'm having some issues getting Wrye Bash to run. It installs fine and everything, but when I try to run it, I get a split-second CMD box and then nothing. Mousing over, it says "No console" for the thing, but multiple reinstallls don't seem to help much.

Let's deal with your Oblivion issue in this thread. Please create a separate thread about your Wrye Bash issue, so as not to confuse things.

Before we go any further, see my reply in this thread about not being able to start vanilla Oblivion.

Then there is something wrong with your installation, and only you can troubleshoot that if it's vanilla.

When you uninstalled, did you remember to delete the .ini file?

Exit Oblivion, then try renaming or deleting the oblivion.ini file (...\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini)

Oblivion will then redetect hardware. It will also, probably, not recognize your video card and set everything to medium. Just change the settings according to what you think your card will support (You can always change them later)