OBMM Issues In Need of Help

nemesisjay

Ok so OBMM has been giving me a message every since I first installed it, however my mods worked just fine, including those installed by OBMM.

The Window that Popped up on the start up looked like this

(Title) Warning

(Message) Vista appears to have moved some of Oblivion's files to the virtual store.

Do you wish to move them back?

If you don't know what the virtual store is, please read entry 16 in the FAQ

(Yes) (No)

I've always said no and it worked fine for me, now heres the twist, I don't run on Vista I am on Windows 7. Well I finally clicked yes as it figured it would be better for my game, and I did read FAQ 16 but that doesn't mean I understood what I read however I assumed the program knew what it was doing. Now every time I attempt to load my game I CTD during the load on a save file, how ever I don't CTD when I go to start a new game. Is there any way I can restore those files to the spot they were previously and reverse what I've done or am I stuck with it like this? And if I can how do I find out where the system had previously stored them?? Thanks for any input. If possible I'd like to just reverse what I have done and put things back as they were.

you are seriously infected by UAC

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=UAC&i=58223,00.asp

until this is solved

you are destined for migraine after migraine

while UAC mangles your game.

UAC is an operating system function devised by Microsoft

who's only documented joy in life

is to stomp on your cake

Well I didn't mind it prompting me I always worked around it but now that I did let OBMM move the files I crash every time. I can uninstall everything and reinstall if need be, but would those settings reset aswell?? I don't run on Vista I run on Windows 7 and everything did work fine up until I let OBMM move the files. I don't know what it moved, or where anything was even moved to, but I was running it for Vista SP2 compatibility to begin with, which is why I believe OBMM thought I was operating on Vista. Everything loks like it's where it is supposed to be.

If you DO reinstall, follow the recommended workaround for UAC and install to C:\Games\Oblivion. That should prevent further annoyances with M$'s halfwit "anti tamper" facility

Actually, the UAC was a good idea, but poorly implemented. For some reason MS decided to protect every program from unwanted changes - not thinking that some programs NEED to be changed. UAC is good for things like system programs, financial and antivirus programs. Not good for games that can be modded.

Disabling UAC leaves a back door for viruses that can disable your antivirus by making a change to them so they no longer detect that virus, or changing a system program to allow the virus to take control of your computer.

The real solution is to install games outside of the UAC protected folders - these are 'program files' and 'Program files (x86)'

I recommend installing in C:\Games. then using a separate subfolder for each game - C:\Games\Oblivion, C:\Games Fallout3, and for steam games, C:\Games\Steam reinstall the steam client to this location and steam will use it for all steam games automatically.

If you need help reinstalling Oblivion, Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

• 2 weeks later...