Getting ready for the commitment to FCOM, but...

luxwing0go

Okay, I know I need to get a new computer if I ever hope to run Skyrim when it comes out, but until I win the Lottery I just have Oblivion to make me happy.

Therefore, I have decided to buckle down and raep my game with FCOM. (Was either this or Nehrim, which I'm sure would be lag-city for me)

But, what I have to ask of this community is...will this mod make my computer cry for its mommeh?

When I check my computer with the "Will it Run" application, it says my computer has the recommended settings (the bar is all the way to the right), but I still get occasional frame skipping, lag and CTDs. Vista is the crappy culprit, I'm sure - but that's how it is. But, with these stats, do you think my computer will be able to handle the load FCOM will give it?

Additional Info: I will have more free disc space when I install it. I will be doing a clean install, so all of the 100 mods I have on Oblivion will be removed and only a third will be replaced. Also, since I backed up Sims2 and Sim City and don't play them anymore, I will be uninstalling them before loading FCOM. Dunno if that will help or what, but yeah. I also have a guide to install FCOM and have everything I need except WyreBash. Do I really need WyreBash or will BOSS and OBMM work fine alone?

Computer Info:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.6 GHz

RAM: 3.9 GB

Video Card: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630

DirectX 11.0

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio

Free Disc Space: 232.4 GB

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

P.S. - Oblivion is installed in my Game directory, not in Programs. Learned my lesson the first time.

Edited by luxwing0go

Cpu is a little slow - Oblivion doesn't multithread well.

Get the 3GB patch too - helps memory useage for some.

Yes, you NEED wrye bash to get FCOM to play ball.

Remember to do the clean install to c:\Games\Oblivion to avoid UAC problems. Remember a lot of mods require Shivering Isles as well, and that you need different patches for "straight" or "SI" Oblivion to get to v1.2.0.416. Apply the unofficial Oblivion patch and the Unofficial SI patch (if you installed it) after that one. If you install any of the DLC mods from Bethesda, also get the Unofficial Official Mods Patch. Next install OBMM, BOSS, Wrye Bash, and OBSE v19 or later. Then back the whole darn install directory up so you can get back to it again more easily.

There are four ways to install FCOM.

(1) Manually install each and every mod.

(2) Use OBMM to install just about every mod. You CAN convert Franes to OMOD but it's a pain in the posterior. uFCOM creates a OMOD installer for FCOM itelf that works fine.

(3) Create BAIN installers for everything and use Wrye Bash to install them (apparently this is supposed to be the best method, but I haven't tried it yet)

(4) Download the FCOM superpack and follow the instructions EXACTLY. You'll get assorted other fcom compatible mods added in, which you mnay or may not ltke all of, but it DID work for me when I tried it.

Use Wrye Bash with the settings described in the FCOM Superpack Install instructions on the forum there - the settings work for me on any FCOM install I've played with.

First run through the tutorial dungeon, set the difficulty a little lower than you are ised to - the creatures and monsters have their stats adjusted and you might get a shock otherwise.

Enjoy!

Edited by MarkInMKUK