Fallout3.exe - Application error

MalachiDelacot

"Fallout3.exe - Application error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application." That's what I get when I try to play. Feh. Had to uninstall because game would crash every time I went into a place or tried to save a game. Tried muckin' with mod load order. No go. So I tried a reinstall. That's when this problem started. Have used registry cleaners, and also manually deleted Fallout 3 folder from registry. No luck. Have done searches here and on web, but can't find anything about this problem. Any body else had this, and how did you fix it ? Any help / wild ideas / suggestions, would be muchly appreciated. OS is Windows 7.

EDIT: Right now, no mods installed...just the game as it was released

EDIT EDIT: Hopefully to give more info: Deleted all Fallout 3 files and folders off hard drive I could find. Even saved game folder is gone. Defrag done, clean up done, defrag done. Even tried installing it with sound effects today. Still no go.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Bought new Fallout 3 today. Cleaned registry, defrag, used default ini file in install. Still no go on the game. Tried exe file from Carah...no go. Everything else in computer working just fine; even a few programs that are over 5 years old...before Windows 7 was invented, Getting the same message.

Edited by Malachi Delacot

Do you have any mods installed? I assume yes. If so, do you also have FOSE installed? Or has something happened to your FOSE file, perhaps?

Sounds unbelievably obvious, I know. However, what you describe sounds exactly like the problems I had with my game - using WinXP, but otherwise the exact same message and code. All because I did not have FOSE installed as well.

Edited by 7thsealord

No mods at this time. Right now, nothing is installed except out-of-the-box vanilla Fallout 3.

It worked first time, before I installed fose, fomm, etc etc etc.

MD, try reinstalling to a different directory. Make a backup of the Fallout ini file in your My Docs folder, and replace it with the default ini file. If you suspect a issue with loading a savegame, try some random savegame downloaded off the Nexus. Wrye Bash or similar utilities can help with broken savegames or mod conflicts (though you seem to be on plain vanilla as of now). Sometimes, the game exe/files can be damaged if the CD/DVD is scratched. Did you install the official patches? They can install certain key files and probably resolve any damage. Try a Fallout exe from GameCopyWorld as a last resort.

Have tried installs in different folders...no change. Can not try save games since the game won't even start. Have mucked around with the ini file in ways nature did not intend for it to be used...heh...

I have wondered if the install may have a problem with the exe file, and have thought of getting another copy of the game. I would rather buy a complete game than trust some of the kak one can get free from online. And, if I can never get it to work, Carah will have 2 backup copies....

See if the game works on another system? Sometimes PC's get wonky Edited by vvk78

@Fatalmasterpiece: Just because everyone plays the game, does not mean it is the exact same game. For every game, there are different versions (even international versions are quite different, especially in terms of the language packs and certain game executables versioning), mods, official/unofficial patches, standalone DLCs, GOTY editions, Collecter's Gold editions, etc. So, what works for you is just your own copy of the game on your own PC. Even your copy may fail if you try it on some other PC, maybe because of OS and environmental issues. Welcome to the world of Windows! :wallbash:

@Malachi: It looks like the game DVD doesn't have all the installer files, or maybe some of the files are corrupted (scratched DVD can be "repaired" with clean water, toothpaste and soft frayed-fiber-free linen cloth).

And if your OS is stable, except for this game, then it is most likely not an OS issue. Do not waste your time reinstalling the OS unless you have some other stability issues.

Did you try reinstalling DirectX, the graphics card display drivers and audio drivers? See if your graphics card is supported for this game and install/run the game after disabling the antivirus and all other unnecessary background processes.

To debug where and when the game is failing, run the game while monitoring it with a tool like SysInternals' ProcessMonitor. It will monitor the file/registry changes when the game is running, so you know what dependency is failing when the game errors out.

Do a clean game install and uninstall, using an install-monitor application, such as Revo Uninstaller or Total Uninstaller. Also, give WhatChanged a shot.

Give us more details about your system, we can try to help diagnose the problem.

:thumbsup:

I had a major CTD problem that I couldnt get rid of and tried every solution possible. Last thing I did was re-install the OS on a new drive, since I found out the last drive was a little faulty. Next thing that happens the game works perfectly and I can play it without interruption. I would recommend Checking your hard drive to see if there is anything wrong with it. Then buy a new one and re-install the OS, with service pack 1 right away.