Fallout New Vegas ft. The Capital Wasteland

yoba333

Please keep in mind that this mod is not released yet. When it is released, it will have installation instructions which will tell you exactly what to do. I don't think there is any reason to copy files around yet. The installation instructions should make this clear when the release happens.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait...what?

So...you load up FONV, take a magic train ride, the game loads up FO3's resources, and you end up somewhere in the Capital Wasteland?

o.O

Sooooo... it's going to load up all of the old weapons and armor. What happens when there's a conflict? A gun that exists in both games uses ironsights in NV but just zooms in in FO3. If you've got this mod higher in the load order, it would seem to me that the newer version of the gun would revert to the older animations and not use its ironsights.

What about stat changes on armor? What about the main storyline? Are you going to start out having completed Vault 101? If so, what choices did you make?

What about effects like the spotter perk or search and mark? Will those highlighting shaders work on FO3's models?

You mentioned mods and dlc. How will FO3 mods interact with NV mods insofar as load order and conflicts are concerned? What happens if you don't have broken steel and your NV character enters the radiation chamber at the climax of FO3? What about the random events that occurred in certain areas in FO3, but no such events seem to occur in NV?

How about the interaction of certain NV perks on FO3 enemies? I.e. damage vs ghouls, supermutants, abominations, differentiation between male/female with ladykiller/confirmed bachelor? Or Bug Stomper, which lets you actually step on insects to kill them in NV?

What about ammo? Will 10mm you find in the capital wasteland work in a NV 10mm smg? Will the transition between the Mojave and the Capital Wasteland be reliable and seamless enough to be able to make the switch every time you need an ammo reload, or are you going to assume we're going to console-equip ourselves with enough non-FO3 ammo to last us?

That was a lot of questions I just threw out there, but this kind of mod seems outside the capabilities of third party modders who aren't getting paid. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but it seems like there's a lot that can go wrong here.

How do you do this btw? I am trying to run both the Fallout3.esm and FalloutNV.esm in the GECK so I can make a personal use mod like this, but it crashes after a while of loading it. It only does this when I load both 3 and NV at the same time on the GECK. It runs in the game though. I can't wait to see when this is released.

Wait...what?

So...you load up FONV, take a magic train ride, the game loads up FO3's resources, and you end up somewhere in the Capital Wasteland?

o.O

Sooooo... it's going to load up all of the old weapons and armor. What happens when there's a conflict? A gun that exists in both games uses ironsights in NV but just zooms in in FO3. If you've got this mod higher in the load order, it would seem to me that the newer version of the gun would revert to the older animations and not use its ironsights.

What about stat changes on armor? What about the main storyline? Are you going to start out having completed Vault 101? If so, what choices did you make?

What about effects like the spotter perk or search and mark? Will those highlighting shaders work on FO3's models?

You mentioned mods and dlc. How will FO3 mods interact with NV mods insofar as load order and conflicts are concerned? What happens if you don't have broken steel and your NV character enters the radiation chamber at the climax of FO3? What about the random events that occurred in certain areas in FO3, but no such events seem to occur in NV?

How about the interaction of certain NV perks on FO3 enemies? I.e. damage vs ghouls, supermutants, abominations, differentiation between male/female with ladykiller/confirmed bachelor? Or Bug Stomper, which lets you actually step on insects to kill them in NV?

What about ammo? Will 10mm you find in the capital wasteland work in a NV 10mm smg? Will the transition between the Mojave and the Capital Wasteland be reliable and seamless enough to be able to make the switch every time you need an ammo reload, or are you going to assume we're going to console-equip ourselves with enough non-FO3 ammo to last us?

That was a lot of questions I just threw out there, but this kind of mod seems outside the capabilities of third party modders who aren't getting paid. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but it seems like there's a lot that can go wrong here.

It's a lot easier then you think. You copy the Fallout3.esm and put it in the NV Data folder and you do some more stuff. Here is a video demonstrating it and has a tutorial in the description to do it yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7J-f9UFInw), also you are going to have to do some stuff to the menu's menu in the data folder to prevent crashing on start.

This mod as I am guessing is a travel system that lets you access The Capital Wasteland via a train instead of cheats. This is perfect for me since I can't cheat. I simply can't use cheats. It destroys the experience for me regardless of however.

How do you do this btw? I am trying to run both the Fallout3.esm and FalloutNV.esm in the GECK so I can make a personal use mod like this, but it crashes after a while of loading it. It only does this when I load both 3 and NV at the same time on the GECK. It runs in the game though. I can't wait to see when this is released.

The GECK requires that you load one "base" ESM and follow a (branching) chain through the rest of the plugins so that everything ultimately requires that ESM. You can't have two "base" ESMs loaded in the GECK that have no masters, so you must edit the header of one of them to include the other as a master.

The GECK requires that you load one "base" ESM and follow a (branching) chain through the rest of the plugins so that everything ultimately requires that ESM. You can't have two "base" ESMs loaded in the GECK that have no masters, so you must edit the header of one of them to include the other as a master.

Thanks for the info. :turned:

Just wonderin, what program would you use for that? (FNVEdit?)

Edited by GTech

You can use wrye flash nv for editing masters (watching the thread and thought i would chip in :D ).

You can use wrye flash nv for editing masters (watching the thread and thought i would chip in :D ).

It WORKS!!! Now I am going to make myself a travel mod.

I'm wondering a few things myself.

- How will you be integrating the main quest, if at all? I mean, you're going to be starting off outside Vault 101, and James might or might not be your characters father, more likely not. I mean, I guess it's possible to do with like a dream sequence or something like that...

- Why not give the player a choice when starting a character? Start in a blank white room, and give a choice between New Vegas and Fallout 3. When the choice is chosen, the script would throw you into either the tutorial for New Vegas or the tutorial for Fallout 3. In this case, though, you might not have as much a problem integrating Fallout 3 characters to New Vegas - just skip some of the Doc Mitchell stuff, but keep in the being shot bit. It might involve some clever scripting but would make for an enriching experience.

- Are there any plans on incorporating Reloading Benches and Campfires into the Capital Wasteland? This would make it mesh even cleaner with New Vegas.

- As far as schematics are concerned, we're going to have three Fallout 3 ones for Bottlecap Mines and one in New Vegas. Are you going to eliminate any for balancing issues?

- What shall happen with leveled lists? Are any weapons from New Vegas going to, say, be incorporated into the raiders? Or Fallout 3 weapons into the Vipers, Scorpions or Fiends?

I know weapons and armor can work out. If New Vegas is the "master of the masters", then a lot of New Vegas loot would replace the Fallout 3 loot. All you would need to do is make a comparability patch for iron sights and related weapon missing information, damage threshold on the older armors, just general tweaks. Add on comparability patches for the DLC and we'd be golden.

EDIT - And how about compatibility with certain mods? Weapon Mod Kits and Caliber come to mind, and people will probably be begging for FWE, 20th Century Weapons, and FOOK patches in short order if they're going to use it. I understand if mosta these you don't want to touch - perhaps, if this works well, various modders might embrace the idea. Do patches on their own. Who knows?

Edited by Mahare