Graphics Don't Cut It

SansSword

Indeed, I'm aware (and almost edited this into orig post) that the games industry is always pushing forward, not backward, and that improved visuals are a consequence of this. After all, it doesn't really make sense to play a 2011 title with 2002 graphical capabilities--that I understand.

And yes, for the younger users, eye-catching visuals certainly grab one's attention much quicker than drab, bland 2d models and landscapes. While those are tried and true, they are mostly in the past. I know when I was young those very first 3d FPS games grabbed my attention and didn't let me turn away--it was so revolutional. So it's safe to assume that most young people nowadays are the same way.

It's just that with both Morrowind and then Oblivion the main stories were so disappointing to myself (and many others) that it seems Bethesda could have at least made it longer, more epic, broader. The content of each story is of course individually judged by a variety of players from a variety of backgrounds, so I can't really say 'just make the story better' since that is open to interpretation. What I can say is make it longer, bigger, and more grandiose. This series, after all, is one of the current reigning RPG franchises, maybe the reigning one.

And it would be a shame to allow the plots of these games to flounder like the Final Fantasy series did.

All I really in terms of graphics is scalability. If I have a mid-range budget PC, I can still run it. If I have a monster of a rig, I can maximize everything and have stunning visual results.

My two favorite games are Final Fantasy Tactics and StarCraft. Personally, I still find myself loving the original sprite look of Final Fantasy RPGs over today's modern looks. StarCraft still has a great visual aesthetic to me that still makes it look better than StarCraft 2. The story is just better too. :biggrin:

I see what you are aiming at there OP, but I would like to add, that this has been in development for how long now?

That means that they have had the time to create the eye popping, brain melting visuals that you see in the trailer, while still have time to focus on the story as well.

I think it'll be great. :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm different and an impressive storyline is great but what ultimately keeps me coming back to games like Oblivion and Morrowind is an amazing lifelike world where there is lots to explore and see. I usually put in 25 hours without even touching any of the main quests, faction quests. If the graphics were not any better than say Oblivion I might still enjoy the quests but after it was finished I wouldn't care anymore about the game.

Ah finally someone agrees with me (well maybe to an extent but still!). It's really unfair that a game with a five year development time that it has to suffer on story. Story is one of the elements that immerse a player into the world, just like characters and graphics. I'm not saying that they should "can" graphics department but as a AAA developer they should have tons of resources to invest in their writing department. The fact that they used "tradition" as an excuse to not explore the world (or change the story for that matter) is to me lazy at best.

Ah finally someone agrees with me (well maybe to an extent but still!). It's really unfair that a game with a five year development time that it has to suffer on story. Story is one of the elements that immerse a player into the world, just like characters and graphics. I'm not saying that they should "can" graphics department but as a AAA developer they should have tons of resources to invest in their writing department. The fact that they used "tradition" as an excuse to not explore the world (or change the story for that matter) is to me lazy at best.

Hold on, can you tell me what you think the story of Skyrim actually is before the game comes out, I'd like to know how Beth got lazy on developing the world or relied too heavily on tradition, I'd imagine there's still some room for the stroy to expand from the alpha version you somehow acquired as there is still months of dev time ahead.