Finally getting a real sound card

Megatarius

I've been out of sound cards for so long, I have no idea what to get. Oblivion would be the only reason I would buy it. Music plays fine and always has.

Recently I've been getting steadily worsening frame rate. After about two minutes it has become completely unplayable. I deactivated sound in the .ini and lo and behold it's butter the whole time. Who knew?

For a while I liked it better. It was fun to just daydream with the game silent, sometimes with music, sometimes not, and not be hit over the head with all the sound effects.

But then I talked to an NPC and the got the infamous quick dialogue. If I want to read the dialogue, I have to press esc to pause it. I don't really mind, but I do miss Sheogorath's voice.

What's a good sound card to get? Inexpensive, and meets the requirements? I don't just want to look at Bethesda's requirements for the game. I'm sure every card out there covers them now. But quite frankly, I don't trust them. This is a PC port for a console game. Their interface is disappointing and we all know about how stable this game runs. I'd rather have the community's opinion on a good sound card for the game.

I've always been a Creative SoundBlaster guy, but the next box I build will have an Auzentech in it. They use the X-Fi chip from Creative and massage it with some better quality peripheral trinkets. They have a range of products meeting different price points ... just keep this in mind. You get what you pay for. I don't endorse 'buy the most expensive 'cause it's the best'. I also say that the cheapest reaches that price for a reason ... cheaper components = lower price = less quality & reliability. Computer components are all an exercise in compromise between price and quality. The acceptable compromise point for me will not necessarily be yours.