What is the REAL load order with

Hayzie

I fix one issue, I find another.

I have all the Unique Landscapes mods via compilation. Same with Better Cities. UL obviously states that BC should load after the UL's. I've always had it that way. Outside of Cheydinhal is a UL, Cheydinhal Falls. Half of the water was gone and fish were floppin' around everywhere and died. The other half was fine. It was very out of place, though.

Better Cities takes care of these problems (supposedly) since it has patches integrated for compatibility. Cheydinhal Falls is one of them.

I did a little experiment. I only took one of the UL's being Cheydinhal Falls and placed it at the very bottom of my load order. Fixed it right up.

My question remains the same as the thread's title: What's the real load order? Are there certain exceptions and has this issue been brought up before? Are the one's that need patches required to be loaded after Better Cities?

Just tryin' to figure it out.

What worked for me was Better Cities first, then Unique Landscapes, then patches. the OMOD version of the patches checks which ones you need and installs them.

I suspect UL culd be installed BEFORE BC - just always do the patches after the other two

Do you mean the patches that come with BC? and if so, a load order such as:

BC

BC

BC

BC

BC

xul

xul

xul

xul

xul

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

?

I know there's a separate OMOD file here, but it states it's for other mods that aren't BC and claims that BC already comes with those patches. I'll load my order as you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks for the insight.

Yes, that's it

a patch always has to come after the things it is patching

If you run BOSS it should sort them into a workable order anyway, but it's best to install that way to make sure no textures get overwritten that shouldn't

I did that load order, and it seems to be running fine. Thanks.

I stay away from BOSS. Each time I use it, it messes up my load order. I use the latest list and all. No offense to the creator(s). I think it's a great idea. I just don't agree with it. There's just too many mods and updates for a program to sort out people's load orders the way it thinks it's "correct". Some things work different for other people. I carefully and manually set up my load order by hand and I get little to no crashes and everything loads just fine. I think I just about completed it with this fix.

Also, thank goodness for the importing/exporting load orders feature.

{edit} I really appreciate your help. :smile:

Edited by Hayzie

You can manually create your own modified masterlist.txt for BOSS, and that will reset your load order to one you are happy with. That way if you have a new mod you install later, it may well put it in a correct-enough place to work happily. There's even a way to merge your changes with the updated masterlist.txt, although I've not tried that.

Alternatively a BAIN install apparently gives you far more control over the process, including what overwrites what, and restoring overwritten files if you then remove something again

Glad the few words of advice helped, though.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

BC

BC

BC

BC

BC

xul

xul

xul

xul

xul

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

?

That load order is incorrect. It should be:

xul

BC

BC-Patch

I stay away from BOSS. Each time I use it, it messes up my load order. I use the latest list and all. No offense to the creator(s). I think it's a great idea. I just don't agree with it. There's just too many mods and updates for a program to sort out people's load orders the way it thinks it's "correct". Some things work different for other people. I carefully and manually set up my load order by hand

That's what BOSS's userlist.txt file is for. There is no reason to not have your customized load order while using BOSS to order everything else.

BC

BC

BC

BC

BC

xul

xul

xul

xul

xul

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

BC-Patch

?

That load order is incorrect. It should be:

xul

BC

BC-Patch

Except I had it that way and the load order didn't work, but the new way did. Explain that one to me.

I stay away from BOSS. Each time I use it, it messes up my load order. I use the latest list and all. No offense to the creator(s). I think it's a great idea. I just don't agree with it. There's just too many mods and updates for a program to sort out people's load orders the way it thinks it's "correct". Some things work different for other people. I carefully and manually set up my load order by hand

That's what BOSS's userlist.txt file is for. There is no reason to not have your customized load order while using BOSS to order everything else.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of BOSS? Why have my custom load order and have BOSS fix the other stuff which is mainly "unknown" and puts it at the bottom of the list? The one's BOSS recognizes, messes up. So my custom load order fixed that problem. Then I have the unknown mods placed at the bottom which I have to sort out myself anyways. Seems kind of pointless.

Edited by Hayzie