New Weapon: Chakram

ddrdude

From Wikipedia:

The chakram (Devanāgarī: चक्रं, Punjabi: chakkar, Malay: cakera), sometimes called a war quoit, is a throwing weapon from India. Its shape is of a flat metal hoop with a sharp outer edge from 5–12 inches (130–300 mm) in diameter.

Unlike Chinese wind and fire wheels, which are larger and used as melee weapons only, the chakram was designed to be thrown but could also be used in-close. Because of its aerodynamic shape it is not easily deflected by wind. The word chakram comes from the Sanskrit term chakra, meaning circle or wheel.

The rest of the article

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z252/ddr-dude/chakram4b.jpg

Made famous for its use by Xena, the Chakram can be used as either a melee or ranged weapon interchangeably. There was an excellent Morrowind Mod for this, I would love to see it carried over into Oblivion.

I have nothing useful to contribute, I just want to express amazement that these things are real. I've seen some truly creative weapons in my time (in real life and in fiction), but I never imagined this thing was based on fact. Although, now that I think about it, I have seen art that depicted similar doohickeys, but I just thought they were exaggerated and stylized for cool value.

Ok, I've thought of something I can suggest: I vote for two versions: "Plausible" and "Fun". Plausible would be restricted to normal laws of physics; you toss it and after X number of feet it falls to the ground-- if something is located X minus Y feet, if it's a target it takes damage, if it's a wall the chakram ricochets. The Fun version, however, would keep bouncing, causing damage, until its time ran out.... very useful for clearing hallways.

I'm suggesting two versions because while most folks I've seen in the Oblivion modding community are very stuffy about lore-friendly and realism, I myself like to go the other way-- I want silly and UNreal. This way everyone wins. ^_^