A push to get started

Hastlefell

Hi guys, I've been researching FAQ and forums to find out how to make a simple modification to the already existing Steel Longsword. All i would like to do is change some stats and re-name it. What would be the steps i need to follow to do this? can you just take an already existing item and mod it whilst retaining the same icons and stuff?

This is my first post. Already FAQ slapped :)

TY

- Start the Construction Set (CS) and load Oblivion.esm

- Locate the sword (WeapSteelLongsword is the Editor ID) in the Object window on the left (weapon/weapons/steel)

- Double-click and change what you will

- Save

Now I'm assuming you have an up to date CS installed and know how to use your new esp.

If you didn't create a new object then it will appear in the game world as normal - on NPC's and in shops.

If you did then find the location you want it to appear in in the Cell View window, double-click for it to appear in the Render window, refine your position as required (pan and zoom) then drag and drop the sword from the Object window to the Render window. You can then position it where you like (hitting the 'F' key will drop it to the surface below it).

Alternatively, you can just add it ingame via console: Get the sword RefID from the CS, and the load order position of your esp from Wrye Bash or similar. Replace the first two digits of the RefID with the load order position number. Ingame, open the console, type in:

player.additem XXRefID x

where XX is the load order number and x is the quantity, 1 in this case.

Yes and Yes. TYVM. Though i just want an individual one for my toon. and is there a way to drop in some particular coordinates or just next to my toon?

I'll post anyway even though Wetblanket has just answered you fully:

:

If I may add a little here...the above example will change ALL steel longswords in the game, if you want to make a one off you will have to alter the ID above the place where you changed the name this will offer the choice of 'Create New' to which you answer 'YES' ...perhaps by adding your initials after the official ID name. (that way you'll find it just below the normal one in the CS list)

Placement, if you want it for your PC you could place it in the CG Prison cell, or Stab it in the Middle of the dock at the sewer exit...or where ever you want.

A question from me "what is a TOON" I have seen this term used twice recently and I can only gather that it is the PC, am I gathering rightly?

How do i add the NIF and icon for the new file? is there some way i can copy it from the standard steel long sword?

A toon is a reference often used in WoW to refer to the character the player has made and is using. My warrior chick called i made up to play in oblivion is my "toon". Just another word for character.

Edited by Hastlefell