BAIN Installers and speed

MarkInMKUK

This morning I decided to bite the bullet and try doing my first BAIN install. Completely new vanilla setup of Oblivion, with SI, patched and UOPd. Archives were extracted correctlty BAIN installer tab opened after a fair bit of checksum calculating, built installer correctly (the results matched the video help file for the mod I was doing, anyway). Resulting item had several thousand files and took up 2.7GB (well, it WAS a big mod, but the figures matched).

Then came the install. I right-clicked the installer and selected "Install" at 6:55 am. The information box to tell me the mod was installing popped up, and my hard drive light went on. And I waited.... and waited.... and waited... No increment to the time display - it sat stubbornly at 0:00. Hard drive whirring furiously. Plenty of HDD space free, and defragged before I started.

At 7:30 I had to leave for work, so hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and killed the process. Apparently wxPython was "not responding".

Was I being too hasty? Do I need to set the PC to install BAIN packages overnight or something? An OMOD install of the same mod takes about 15 minutes.

Advice please

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I have never tried to install a 2.7 GB package, but WAC, OOO, Elsweyr Anequina (all around half a GB) take minutes, if that, to install.