Oblivion Mod Detectives

Povuholo

Are you sure there's no way to find out which mod a certain object belongs to? I mean I have the object in my inventory, so shouldn't there be some way to determine which mod it comes from via the CS or something?

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure there's no way to find out which mod a certain object belongs to? I mean I have the object in my inventory, so shouldn't there be some way to determine which mod it comes from via the CS or something?

Unless the mod author gives it a certain name, not usually... however oftentimes mod authors have their own folder naming scheme which may include their name or their mod's name. If you can find the folder chances are better for figuring out the identity of the item.

Well, the name is "Tan Robe, Short", which I didn't find in the CS. I could drop the Item and get its ID, but I'd still have to load the right mod into the CS, wouldn't I? And if I had the right mod loaded, then I could just do a search for "Tan Robe, Short" instead, couldn't I? Because I already did that with some mods, and didn't find anything.

Well, the name is "Tan Robe, Short", which I didn't find in the CS. I could drop the Item and get its ID, but I'd still have to load the right mod into the CS, wouldn't I? And if I had the right mod loaded, then I could just do a search for "Tan Robe, Short" instead, couldn't I? Because I already did that with some mods, and didn't find anything.

I was talking about the meshes and textures folders on your hard drive. You could look at it in the CS and get the exact file path I suppose.

Well the problem is not only figuring out which nif the item uses, but figuring out which mod it comes from in the first place as well. As long as I don't know the mod, I can't look at it in the CS.

Okay nevermind. Went back and reread and it seems you have some item entry without a mesh. If it were me I'd just open each esp I suspected could be the cause and look for the item name under the clothes section (or armor if it has an armor value). Once you can identify the esp then you should be able to see the file path to the missing mesh in the entry for the robe.

Well, I'm not even sure if the mesh is actually missing. As far as my experience goes, when a mesh is missing, shouldn't there be some happy yellow "wtf? i'm a missing mesh" star be aroundf? Because that doesn't happen; all that happens is that my upper body vanishes. It's like the item has "UpperBody" activated in the biped objects list, but no nif assigned.

I tried loading all mods that could possibly have anything to do with this in the CS, then did a search for "Tan Robe, Short" but got no results.

I also tried doing a text search for "Tan Robe, Short" in my data folder, no results.

But I'l try loading all esps in the CS again then, if that's the only way. Maybe I missed one...

And it's not my intention to cause trouble or something, it's just an unfortunate accumulation of misunderstandings, like the one right now. I don't know if something else than my apparently amendable understanding of the English language is causing this. Anyway, thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Well, I'm not even sure if the mesh is actually missing. As far as my experience goes, when a mesh is missing, shouldn't there be some happy yellow "wtf? i'm a missing mesh" star be aroundf? Because that doesn't happen; all that happens is that my upper body vanishes. It's like the item has "UpperBody" activated in the biped objects list, but no nif assigned.

I tried loading all mods that could possibly have anything to do with this in the CS, then did a search for "Tan Robe, Short" but got no results.

I also tried doing a text search for "Tan Robe, Short" in my data folder, no results.

But I'l try loading all esps in the CS again then, if that's the only way. Maybe I missed one...

And it's not my intention to cause trouble or something, it's just an unfortunate accumulation of misunderstandings, like the one right now. I don't know if something else than my apparently amendable understanding of the English language is causing this. Anyway, thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.

I've found that with clothes, you set it to replace a part of the body in the biped slot. If there's no mesh specified, that place on your body will disappear. An example would be if you tried to equip armor for females on a male character and the mod author didn't specify anything for males. The corresponding areas of his body would vanish.

That makes me wonder... have you by chance tried putting the robe on a character of a different gender to see if that may be your issue?

You can find out which mod the robe belongs to by using the Beta Comment function. Go to this page at the CS Wiki and in the page contents under 7.7, Tracking Down Problems with Specific Mods you can find out where the robe came from.

Identify That Robe

It involves a small edit to your ini file so back it up first. This does work. I used it some time ago when I first started using mods.

:smile:

Hopefully, that helps.