Oblivion Mod Detectives

Povuholo

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anybody needs the mod I'm looking for, I found it: Hand to Hand Idle Stance. No thanks to this apparently useless thread. :whistling:

That's kind of rude. Maybe no one responded because they didn't know. And just so you know, if you don't have much luck here, try the mod detectives thread on the official forums. You'll usually get your answer there if no one here knows. I'd give you a link but it keeps changing as they fill up one thread and start a new one. You can find it usually within the first three pages of the Oblivion Mods area here.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=25

Coscience?

I honestly doubt that having one or two textures/meshes from their games is going to kill Blizzard.

It is not a matter of coscience when the "offended" party is a company so rich it could mantain hundred of families for centuries

Copyrights?

That's why I said they should also modify the armour a little bit, and clain it's a remake :)

Don't be naive. If stealing copyrighted property would be that easy, the whole system of copyright would collapse. Of course, the fact that your "self-made" textures were stolen can be proven. It doesn't even need to be a 100% match. Secondly, whenever you actually make something of copyrighted content someone other owns, they still remain the owners and you can't use it without their permission. If rips would be so easy to hide, they won't get banned here, you know (yes, they are banned with proof).

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=74658&st=0

Since the topic is being engaged a copyright wouldn't be limited to an exact duplicate of a model or texture. Even making something similar to something else, even from scratch, and then calling it by the same name could break a copyright if the holder of said copyright chose to pursue the issue. (For instance Nintendo had to stop making their wired Wii controllers because they were "similar" to the design of another company's copyright, the ones that were for sale when Wii's came out, and that company chose to pursue their copyright based on similarity). While I understand the sites stance on ripped material (and pulled a ripped model I had uploaded since I wasn't clear on site policy at the time) even replicas made by oneself would still be subject to the same copyright issues. Least that's my understanding.

<.<

>.>

I have a mod that i'm looking for that I know exists, but I have yet to find a link that works to it, It is Slofs male dremora textures by Alienslof, but she recently had some issues and kinda removed alot of her mods for some reason. She put some back up, but i can't seem to find the file for this mod. So if someone could find a good link or if they already have it, upload it and give me a link to it, i'd be grateful.

Since the topic is being engaged a copyright wouldn't be limited to an exact duplicate of a model or texture. Even making something similar to something else, even from scratch, and then calling it by the same name could break a copyright if the holder of said copyright chose to pursue the issue. (For instance Nintendo had to stop making their wired Wii controllers because they were "similar" to the design of another company's copyright, the ones that were for sale when Wii's came out, and that company chose to pursue their copyright based on similarity). While I understand the sites stance on ripped material (and pulled a ripped model I had uploaded since I wasn't clear on site policy at the time) even replicas made by oneself would still be subject to the same copyright issues. Least that's my understanding.

<.<

>.>

And here's where things get ugly.

To debate over the exact scope of a copyright is a futile effort because there literally is no cutoff thought out for the digital age. Disney could technically take someone to court for posting a video blog on the metamorphosis of the butterfly because it happened to casually depict a Lion King poster in the background. The cutoff is very roughly defined based on what a larger company deems as free advertising and being ripped off, and even that is inconsistent between each company. A random modder making a Sophia Esteed outfit or something would probably be viewed as fanart and free promotion of the Star Ocean series by Square-Enix, but Viacom has been known for doing ...

Generally speaking, a lookalike product is safe from courtroom threats as long as

1. The creator is not distributing it for profit

2. It does not harm anyone else's profits. Taking an exclusive armor directly from another game that you have to pay a company to normally use falls in here. Even if it were a free game, you're still basically harming that company's incentive and efforts to get people to play their own game.

Also, mods that are based on but do not directly take away from someone else's product at least arguably fall under Parody protection, which just gives a lot of the things on TES a meatier defense.

That's all I'll say on the matter.