PLZ HELP- No Mods- Just Game- KEEPS FREEZING from Start

dankerr

Hello and thank you for looking at my post and helping out. I Installed game today, After Installing Windows LIVE did a Software UPDATE to v1.7

PROBLEM: Keeps freezing, looking online for help- This is my 1st post to this great site. I looked on here for help but mostly found MOD issues.

I just installed this game- NO Mods. Game came in a TIN Lunchbox w/ Bobblehead and some book art- I thought this would be the "Game of the Year" Edition but it doesn't say it on the DVD, or case it came in- so I have to assume this is a regular Fallout 3 DVD Game.

LAPTOP Specs listed Below- Laptop about 9 months old

Windows 7x64

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (Updated today 02-23-2011 from ATI site- v11.2 from 02-15-2011)

Intel Core i5 430m 2.26GHz - 2.53GHz (2 Core, 4 Threads)

4GB Memory (DDR 3)

500GB HD

I've tried playing this SEVERAL TIMES today and it FREEZES EVERY time. It froze when I was being born in the beginning, it Froze right after I created my face, It froze after my 10th Bday Party when I shot my BB Gun, and now it's frozen 4 times BACK at my 10yr old Bday Party (Kicked me back there when it froze shooting BB Gun) I have spoken to the same people at my Bday 4-5 times now. I've installed a WIN7 Codec, I've upgraded my Video Card, I've changed the "Start under COMPATIBILITY" Mode 4 times- I tried under Vista SP1, Vista SP2, XP SP2, I've turned off my Norton Antivirus but no help so far. On the Next start I will lower the Game "Settings" from default but that shouldn't be an issue, but who knows-

Right now it's set on Default at- High, 16:9, Resolution- 1280x720,

Antialiasing- 4 samples, Anisotropic Filtering- 8 samples,

Mode- Vertical Sync,

Screen Effects HDR,

Box checked- Show All Resolution

When the Game FREEZES I can't do anything- The Screen is frozen but still clear and visible, Audio is still going- BUT I do notice the audio seems to have a little "White" sound in the background- when it freezes, but I think I notice it while I'm playing also- no crackling, inflections, or odd noises, other than it may seem there is a little "Louder" "White" noise in the background while everything else is happening around me. Someone was with me and they didn't notice the sound so it may just be me...... The ONLY thing I can do to get ANYTHING to happen is press CTRL-ALT-DELETE or probably just hold down the Power Button.

I called Bethesda- not much help there- they said they don't support WIN7, and just try turning off my Anti-Virus. I CAN'T believe they don't offer at least a Patch or something for WIN7....ANYWAY, no since kicking a dead horse.

Can anyone help? I would sure appreciate it. If you need to know more info let me know- but I think most of it is covered above. I've had this game for a while and it's been calling me, so I read both books, and watched some video online about the game- I've got the itch, I want to play it, but the dang game keeps freezing 10 minutes into it. What am I missing or what can I try. I'm going to lower the settings now and see what happends but I don't think that is the issue. I've been playing Metro 2033, BFBC2, Gears of WAR, and COD MW2 all on HIGH Settings and they run fine...

I DID have an issue just like this when I 1st started playing Metro 2033 and it allowed me to change DirectX 11 down to DirectX 10 and/or DirectX 9 and it played PERFECT from there on, I didn't see anyway to make these changes in Fallout 3, am I missing it? Is there a way to change the DirectX on this game? Or is this a Non-Issue? I think I may have been able to do it on Metro 2033 because it's a STEAM game.

Sorry for rambling- Thank you in advance for your help and happy Gaming.

Sincerely,

Dankerr

The fix above did not fix the problem. I guess I'll try lowering the setting to see what works. Does anyone out there have a solution? A lot of people seem to have issues with this game, there should be fixes somewhere...wtf Bethesda and Microsoft?

-dankerr

Not sure if this will help, but a very close friend had a problem of game freezing when going into Pipboy. She updated drivers for her graphics card, and it ended her problem. Might be worth a try, and I hope it works.

EDIT: Just noticed you had updated graphics card....duh on me...

Not sure if this will help, but a very close friend had a problem of game freezing when going into Pipboy. She updated drivers for her graphics card, and it ended her problem. Might be worth a try, and I hope it works.

EDIT: Just noticed you had updated graphics card....duh on me...

No problem- I appreciate you reading the post and offering your help. I lowered the graphics allnthe way to "low" and I can play for about 3-5 minutes and it just freezes as posted above. I've tried mixing with Compatiability modes, Admin Rights, editing Configuration files, I don't know what else I can do. Any pro's out there that have an idea? I'll try just about anything...short of buying a new laptop.

Thanks,

-dankerr