Bit of help with blender :P

Once again: Anyone know how to create clean cylindrical holes in a mesh?

I have started working on something, and I got stumped trying to make a horizontal hole on a mesh (I suppose direction isn't that important in this case). If anyone could help it would be much appreciated and kudos will be rewarded :biggrin:

I could check out the blender forums, but I was hoping that someone who has some more experience than me could give a few pointers. This comment not directed towards you in an insulting manner, I have no Idea how much experience you do/do not have. I am just making a general statement to express my opinion. Just mentioning this because I read over the sentence and it sounded like it could be taken the wrong way :sweat: . If I do not get a response from someone I will definitely check out the Blender forums, I hadn't thought about that.

Hi!

The to sphere mesh tool is nice for if you have just added the object and you select an evenly subbed plane and delete some faces you can easily make a circle out of them.

It is located in the mesh tools panel of the editing tab of the buttons window.

You have to select the edge loop of the hole you made and move the 3d cursor to the center of your selection with shift s. Then hit the button to make it project the vertices into a sphere making a circle.

But when you want to preserve your local transformation properties and not apply scale and rotation before doing it it can cause strange results.

I have tried to replicate this issue but I cant seem to at the moment.

Anyway, it also causes problems when you have deleted faces that have different length edges. What you can do is use geom tool http://glender.hybird.org/ to distribute the vertices before snapping the cursor to selection and hitting the to sphere button.

Repeat that process as necessary until u got your nice round hole.

Once you have the circular hole you can extrude it, scale it and sub and bevel it or whatever.

Blneder artists forum was down for a while but now its all back!

Here is a good thread on there about how to make the most of quad topology and have absolute control over your mesh.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93651

Oh yeah there is a blender forum here on the nexus also! http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/forum/320-blender/

Edited by baduk

Thank you very much. This is much more help than I expected :biggrin:

I have tried out the To Sphere tool, and I can't believe I didn't know about it earlier. Thank you very much for teaching me this, as well as including further reading and understanding of what to do if I encounter any problems while using this.

You definitely deserve kudos for this one!

(Once again, thank you very much, can't say it enough :sweat: )

Edited by tttttt