TESV: 3D or still 2.5D...?

jfiemmpa

I'm not here to 'soapbox' or write a bloody essay about my gripe, so here it is: for such huge worlds (Morrowind et al) there is a disturbing lack of verticality. Not a word? It is now! For all of the 3D-ness of these epic games, where's the rope?? Why can't I climb up <anything> without a friggin ladder? How about jumping to a ledge only to barely catch it and pulling yourself up?

Anyone remember, or even play the Source-based "M&M: Dark Messiah"? The RopeBow?? Brilliant game mechanic for a true 3D world! I'm not going to explain it. Find the game and play it, please! See for yourself, then help convince Bethsoft to consider it (maybe along with a body for your First-Person avatar?).

So many other bits, like freezing the ground causing your charging enemy to slip and fall off a cliff. Here's another simple one: kick-to-the-solarplexus!! Duke Nukem 3D did it! Dark Messiah did it! Why not Elder scrolls? Kicking a goblin (M&M:DM) off a cliff, through a shoddy wooden fence was so funny, and sadistically satisfying! Even the one-on-one combat mechanics were superior: target lock, charge-magic attacks, power moves, special attacks for special weapons, dual wielding. These concepts aren't new, so what gives?

You can't really say 'because it's been done'. Doom had big levels and lots of guns; that didn't stop the FPS genre, it inspired it!

IMHO alert:

I have always felt Elder Scrolls would be perfect if it took the best elements from Dark Messiah (and Thief series, I'm not totally biased... remember extinguishing light sources??).

Yes, M&M:DM was linear, (it's a Source Engine game) but it did things right where it counted. Why must I go to The Community to look for Oblivion's missing pieces, like Deadly Reflex and Unnecessary Violence to name a few?

Some may rightly say because those things were never part of Bathesda's creation, but I ask 'why'? Even now, in the Fallout series, I can't break glass or shatter lights. Why? The best glass mechanic I've seen was in Red Faction! Shouldn't that inspire?!

So I beseech the powers-that-be: take all of the good that has come before and bring it into the awesome vastness of the Elder scrolls universe! It's not like peanut butter and chocolate, it is peanut butter and chocolate!! Simple and brilliant.

For all that computer technology has become, here's hoping ES V: Skyrim will be that game.

Damn. Wrote a bloody essay...

P.S. Is it me, or are the trailers missing Tessellation?? No DX11?! Grrrr??!! Don't make me soapbox Morrowind and Truform! Funny how, even then, I relied on The Community

Its because they used 360 footage. imagine if the weaker of the 3 looks like that, how the strongest (pc) will look.

That's another gripe of mine. Dev's making games for an outdated PC ( :geek: yes, the Xbox360) and then porting it, with no consideration for to the current gen PC.

Any PC owner worth his salt has edited an .ini to get the game to use the 'extra' resources. :down: It's not a new practice, it's just sad for PC owners with DirectX 10/11 tech. I've gone so far as to change the .exe to make it 'aware' of the 8 gig RAM (still only limited to 4 under x64) I have, hoping that these long-in-the-tooth 32bit progs try to use it! :wallbash:

I really hope the Dev's went top-down on this project. Start with the high-end and trickle down! Stop when you hit the SNES tho ;) ...

I agree with a lot of which you say, though with consideration that Bethesda seems more interested in building a game world rich with elements and less in building a game it's self... That comes with it's pros and cons.

The ram issue is very frustration. Had I known it would be this limiting I wouldn't have built a win7 64 machine. Besides that I can load a bunch of virtual instruments for music making, it's pretty much pointless thanks to most software devs.

Oh and dual wielding and special attacks -are- confirmed. You should check out the info thread and get updated on some of the info.

It's because the PC has sort of fallen out of favor lately with the console boom.

Sadly, the pc has ( atleast to my knowledge) had a big come back since the PS2.

However, thanks to the modern age, and faster internet, more and more people simply download their games from steam or direct to drive.

This means they are more likely to consider actually buying a pc game than a console game purely for being lazy.

It would be nice to see a new generation taking on the ropes instead of getting what is stylish.

offtopic, But I wanted to say it aha.:thumbsup:

My opinion, the devs want to create a much more visible land for players to SEE and that is much more successful when creating a horizontal/flatter world rather than a scaley, jagged, cliff-faced world--doing endless cliffs would probably be a lot easier for them since the interior of the cliffs wouldn't have to be rendered or textured at all, thus saving mucho memory

I agree having TES games be more vertically-based would be more interesting and fun and certainly varied--climbing in a mountain range would feel so much more dramatic than going up a few paths (although, I have to admit, the Jeralls were pretty freakin' high and those vistas from the top were mighty impressive)

And...throwing stormtroopers off platforms and cliffs in Jedi Outcast with Force Push...the best

But I understand why the devs focus more on a flatter world--simply, beautiful landscape; it allows them to showcase their artistic talents

Sadly, the pc has ( atleast to my knowledge) had a big come back since the PS2.

However, thanks to the modern age, and faster internet, more and more people simply download their games from steam or direct to drive.

This means they are more likely to consider actually buying a pc game than a console game purely for being lazy.

It would be nice to see a new generation taking on the ropes instead of getting what is stylish.

offtopic, But I wanted to say it aha.:thumbsup:

Not just that, but onboard video is considerably better than it use to be. My buddies cheap $500 HP laptop from walmart can run Bioshock and Medal of Honor, quite well in fact. PC requirements are not as much of an issue as it use to, although it is still an issue. The i7's helped as well, as most people have absolutely no clue how fast these chips really are.

And to clear things up, games are NOT ported to the PC. The game engines (especially Unreal and Crytek) are now setup to cook/compile for all three major platforms, PC, 360, and PS3. The issue comes from the fact that developers have to hold back the graphics part so that it can run on the 360, despite the fact that PC and PS3 are far more capable than Microsoft's piece of crap. Me personally, I think everyone should develop cross platform games like they did Devil May Cry 4; they scaled the graphics back for the 360 and PS3, but they allowed players to really crank the settings up very high on the PC version.