So it seems that Dragon Souls will be new Sigil Stones.

DrunkenGamer

If what I understand is correct, the game will have the hero absorbing Dragon Souls to gain new shouts and the like, just as Sigil Stones granted free enchantments for weapons. They are rewards for completing a task that give you new abilities.

In that regard, Dragons are the new Oblivion Gates in Skyrim, and souls are the new sigil stones.

Your thoughts?

Edited by DrunkenGamer

I'm not really sure. Dragons are gonna be bloody hard to beat.

Oblivion Gate instances were kind of repetitive and easy. Considering there were 8 base templates for the Oblivion worlds.

Dragons have the advantage of flight.

But I doubt Dragon Souls will be used as an enchantment item. Dragon Shouts are immense powers used through the Draconic language. I doubt that Dragon Souls will enchant. What I do want to see is maybe parts of a dragon, once killed, can be used for potent alchemical and enchantment as well as smithing uses. It would make fighting them more rewarding aside from just killing them for the power. And I read somewhere that the more dragons you slay, the more powerful your Dragon Shouts become overall.

Never used Sigil Stones or also the Standing Stones found throughout the world... not really looking forward to these dragons shouts and how they can make me "uber". Special abilities in Oblivion just seemed like they made the game that much easier, which it doesn't need.

The last thing I want is to feel like Fable and I'm some god-character running around in a leveled instance. :confused:

I guess I can concur to that.

I never really did find myself using Sigil Stones until after I was a higher level and got the better ones.

But by then I was almost done with the Main Quest and tired of closing Oblivion gates anyway.

But they do offer decent enchantments sometimes. And the fact that it's basically free.

I get the feeling that Dragons will all be taken down almost the same way each time, just like how an Oblivion gate is closed.

Shouts are something different though.

But Barbarians from Diablo 2 already had a nice one.

Dragon Souls will be used for shouts, if I'm not mistaken. It's already been confirmed that you will be getting new shouts (or rather, words for shouts) each time you kill a dragon, based on which one you defeat. Furthermore, it doesn't sound like Skyrim will be as easy as Oblivion, especially with quests, as it's also been confirmed that NPCs will be less specific when giving quests. Hopefully Skyrim will prove a more challenging experience, but one that's entertaining through it as well.

For example, Oblivion would be either disappointingly easy, or hard to the point where it was simply not fun anymore. If I made it so I had difficulty killing enemies, I was staggered constantly and slowly cut to death. If it was too easy, I one shot everything. It was like Fable. No middle ground.

I'm hoping Skyrim will fix that.

Back on topic, dragon souls are similar to Sigil stones in the sense that they were given from completing a difficult task, but the difference is that you can fight dragons anywhere you see them, they're probably much more difficult to defeat, and it's not the reward for entering a different, admittedly simple and boring zone and retrieving it. There are similarities, but you really can't say dragon souls will be the new sigil stones, since there are simply too many differences. Not to mention, I'll actually be using my shouts, unlike sigil stones :wink:.

Edited by Guest