Face discoloration issue

InfamousNate

I started noticing this issue two days ago. This photo was taken with a freshly installed, pure vanilla install.

http://i.imgur.com/iNdgZ3e.jpg?1

I honestly can't say how long I've had this issue because I never use vanilla male nord. I only noticed this because I was testing a mod and noticed a male nord mannequin with the same issue. I randomly switched to third person and noticed the E3 nord had the same issue. From what I have gathered in my game, this is only noticeable on the E3 male nord that's made when you coc from the main menu and mannequins changed to NordRace. It affects no other npc's and it is corrected when I use showracemenu. But only on my PC and not the NordRace mannequin (not in cell).

About the fresh installation:

- I manually removed all contents from the steamapps/common/skyrim and my documents/games/skyrim folders.

- I deleted local content through Steam.
- I cleaned the shortcut links and registry with CCleaner and restarted my pc.
- Re-installed Skyrim and all DLC via Steam

About my testing:

Using Mod Organizer 1.3.8 I tested this with High Resolution DLC, SKSE, ENBoost (no preset), Unofficial Patches and Optimized Vanilla Textures at first. I removed each mod one by one and tested each time finally ending with no mods at all. At this point I switched to launching the skyrim launcher via the Skyrim directory (vanilla state). I have tested this Starting on Ultra and then with High. All with the same discoloration. After the fresh install I tested again via SkyrimLauncher.exe.

About my rig:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO

CPU: AMD FX series 6100 six core (OC)

Memory: 8gb

Power: Kentec KTPS-850 / 850w

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda LP 1TB HDD

Video Card: GeForce 550 Ti 2gb (stock)

Nvidia Driver 353.30 (Latest as of 6/22)

I have searched the net for a solution to no avail. Can anyone with graphics knowledge proved any details as to why this is happening to only my PC and a single NordRace mannequin?

if this wasnt vanilla, I would say that the head and body textures are different, try installing a male texture pack, maybe it will solve the problem

The problem for the player gets solved by activating showracemenu, and vanilla textures appear magically. The reason I'm trying to figure out the actual cause is because it affects a custom mannequin I made based on a follower as well. The follower comes with its own textures and works perfectly on it's own. I've sent the mannequin off for testing on another system to see if the discoloration appears there as well. I've double and triple checked the nifs for the correct paths and everything looks to be correct. I have a feeling the problem lies somewhere in my system.

I would delete Skyrim, reinstall, delete then install a fresh Mod Organizer, then check it ingame. The vanilla Skyrim doesn`t have this issue.

Other things to look at: -Your ENB.

-Mod Organizer overwrite folder can contains some files, what you could overlook, but it can overwrites your current textures.

-Try to start a new game on a cloned profile, to see if your save is corrupted?

-install a full male texture pack (for example Sky http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58443/? )

Are you sure that nord /mannekin is not from a mod? (in which case this is common known problem (grey face bug))

Edited by metaton

I had this problem before. I ended up being a facegen nif file.

It can also happen if you change the race of your character. it is either an unwanted face tattoo or a brown or gray head. Both are removed in showracemenu & return in a reload.

This thread mite be helpful since you are modding. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/571780-npcs-created-andor-edited-in-the-creation-kit-have-grey-heads/

Later

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I would delete Skyrim, reinstall, delete then install a fresh Mod Organizer, then check it ingame. The vanilla Skyrim doesn't have this issue.

Other things to look at: -Your ENB.

-Mod Organizer overwrite folder can contains some files, what you could overlook, but it can overwrites your current textures.

-Try to start a new game on a cloned profile, to see if your save is corrupted?

-install a full male texture pack (for example Sky http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58443/? )

Are you sure that nord /mannekin is not from a mod? (in which case this is common known problem (grey face bug))

Just to touch on a few things here:

-No enb is present, not even enboost. The common/skyrim/data folder is in vanilla state

-Skyrim has been uninstalled/reinstalled twice and the problem still persists.

-The problem persists with activated with MO, skse loader, skyrim launcher, and tesv.exe

-The mannequin issues were solved by not using NordRace for him, now the mannequin is perfect. Yes he was from my mod I was testing via MO, which is when I noticed the issues with my character having the same problem.

-There are no saves involved, it's just a simple coc riverwood. The problem actually vanishes when I console showracemenu.

-MO's overwrite folder has tes5edit backups and that's it. But this only becomes an issue when using MO to launch the game. Since tesv.exe doesn't look for an overwrite folder whatsoever, it has as much impact on the game as a jpeg when launched with skse, launcher, or the exe outside of MO.

I had this problem before. I ended up being a facegen nif file.

It can also happen if you change the race of your character. it is either an unwanted face tattoo or a brown or gray head. Both are removed in showracemenu & return in a reload.

This thread mite be helpful since you are modding. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/571780-npcs-created-andor-edited-in-the-creation-kit-have-grey-heads/

Later

Thanks for that link. :)

There are no facegen files in my skyrim/data folder. I tried deleting shadersfx because someone on step mentioned having this same issue and deleting that folder fixed it. I tried deleting LSdata as well, both didn't stop the problem.

When I ride the cart all the way through and I get to the character creation menu, the problem is not there. When I use showracemenu after I coc riverwood I literally watch the face return to normal before my eyes. It's the oddest thing. I'm starting to think this might be an Nvidia issue or something. I don't know for sure, I just know it's a mystery. Honestly the only thing that really bothered me was the mannequin, but I fixed that. So the issue is still with NordRace for some reason, but only the PC and not any other NPC's.

I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions. If anyone has more ideas or thoughts I would be more than happy to test them to see if the solution works for any other users that might have this issue.

Even if you do have a fresh install you probably do want to create facegendata to avoid gray face in the future.

Go into Creation Kit and ctrl+f4 to generate all the facetint and facegeom for your skyrim.esm.