Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like the idea of having the choice to give positive or negative feedback. One without the other would be meaningless. Any rating system tends to be open to some amount of abuse or stupidity, but for the most part I'd rather have both positive and negative than none at all, even if some of it isn't fair or entirely reasonable - or sane :huh:

However, I think the following 'reasons' for a thumbs down need to be looked at:

"after playing the file it doesn't fit in to my personal tastes or beliefs, etc. " This isn't even a valid reason to give a thumbs down. A file not matching your personal taste doesn't make it a bad mod. You simply don't give a thumbs up or down in the case of something that doesn't fit in with your taste. I must say that one struck me as incredibly absurd the first time I saw it and even now it still seems ridiculous.

"the file caused conflicts with the game or other popular files " I agree with the first part, but not the second. Conflicts with other popular files? To be frank, too bad :wacko: That's an incredibly unfair reason to give a thumbs down. While it's a bonus if you can run a lot of mods together, I think it's a foolish reason to give the mod a thumbs down. Suggest some tweaks to make it compatible, certainly. But writing it off as a bad mod because it conflicts with something popular is unreasonable.

"I couldn't get the file to work" This one is a little dubious given the amount of people who are incapable of getting mods to run which are proven to be fully functional. I realise there has to be a reason of this kind on the list, but it doesn't sit entirely well... :mellow: Seems like they should at least have to explain WHAT went wrong. "I couldn't get the file to work" could mean anything from a really rotten mod to a really incompetent user. However, I can't think of a better way to put it, so I'll shut up now :tongue:

Anyway, while I agree there are some irksome elements to the system, I'd certainly never want to get rid of the negative feedback option.

:yes:

*Edit*

Motseer really did nail it on the previous page. :thumbsup:

Edited by Brittainy

I myself look forward to negative endorsements being removed in the near future. If a mod is ''poor'' it won't have a whole lot of endorsements (good indication imo) and it will also show in the comments section. The issue I have with negative endorsements is that it discourages people trying a mod, even when there isn't anything wrong with it.