Icons not on the map?

CrissOliva

OK ... because it's Vista that means you are subject to the UAC problem, so you do need to get Oblivion installed in a directory outside of C:\Program Files. When you said it doesn't respond when you press the uninstall button are you talking about the uninstall option off the Start/All Programs menu? Do you also get that response when you try to uninstall from the Control Panel/Programs and Features?

Edit: Looking over bben46's uninstall/re-install procedure he mentions using the original game CD setup.exe for your uninstall. I recommend you read through that guide and follow it's suggestions.

Edited by Striker879

From what I understand reading Hickory's posts on the subject of load order, Oblivion.esm should always be at the top of your load order. I personally have an extremely short load order, so I haven't needed to avail myself of his expertise yet.

Did you try running setup.exe from the CD as bben46's guide suggests? Try running it by navigating to your CD using Windows Explorer rather than the Uninstall option at the bottom of the Oblivion launcher menu that you get after putting the CD in (the menu that autoplay brings up). You will see setup.exe listed in the root of the CD's content directory. It may only say setup on your machine if you don't have 'show known extensions' turned on in Windows Explorer.

That is the ten ton hammer approach. It will work, you'll have a nice squeaky clean registry and Oblivion will be where it needs to be, but there are plenty of pitfalls to avoid on that trail too. Make a careful inventory of everything you have installed on your machine and confirm you have a working install source for each that you want to re-install. I recommend Koroush Ghazi's Tweak Guides a lot, and he has one to get your Windows re-install off on the right foot. I have my own annoted version of his WinXP guide that I use for every install (I haven't had to travel down the Vista re-install road yet ... only my laptop has Vista, with no disks of course just a recovery disk and I still have unused copies of XP ... if it needs a re-install it'll go XP or Linux).

All Windows installations eventually need a re-install. Get prepared and don't rush the job. Good luck.

Cross-referencing from another thread ... similar/different problem and I stumbled across this Unofficial Technical FAQ. Here's a quote:

Tig here again...If for some odd reason this still doesn't work, then you can try a method I used to resort to:

If deleting the stuff from the registry doesn't work or you're still getting uninstallation errors, one way that I used to get around it was to go into Safe Mode and run the setup.exe file from the disc. IIRC it asks you if you want to reinstall the game...so go ahead and reinstall it. Then after it's done, click on the Oblivion icon again and try the uninstall option and see if it works. Strange and tedious process, but it used to work for me every time.

How to get into Safe Mode? Most surefire way: Start - Run (if Vista, use the Search box) - type msconfig - hit Enter - click on the BOOT.INI tab - check the box for /SAFEBOOT - restart.

To get back into Normal Boot, just go through the msconfig again and in the first window that pops up, just check "Normal Startup" and restart again.

Might be worth a try before you get out that big hammer. Safe mode can be a life saver.